Safe To Prune?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks. 1 of my concerns is the fact that the 2 large branches are on opposite sides of the trunk. So I would be disrupting maybe 30% of the circumference of the tree {if looked down from above) and wondered if interupting that much cambium layer amy be problematic. I'm not sure if the cambium has made of vertical tubes and chopping so much would be an issue.
Sap flow is not absolutely vertical along a trunk. Add to that sap flow can change if required so trees can cope with accidental damage. The fact that these 2 large chops are separated in height is good. At the same level would definitely be a problem.
Large chops are definitely a concern, not only from point of view of sap flow but also for healing over in future. Expect to take 5 - 10 years for chops like this to heal depending how much experience you have and how much the tree is allowed to grow in those years.
US$275 seems a lot for a trident that appears to have very little to commend it but as @leatherback says I don't know local availability or pricing. If it had magnificent nebari maybe. If it had good trunk taper maybe. If it had good branching maybe but I cannot see any of that. Instead it needs 2 major chops which will leave years of work to cover the chops.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question me, (forgive me but not) but I think it is foolish to both, remove that branch, for design purposes, and buy a tree with such a zone change at this time of year.

That's at least half of $275 worth of advice.😜

Sorce

johng

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 477361
For your reference, I bought this trident last year for less than $200 and it’s twice or even three time as thick as the one you posted. Perhaps you should make a trip down to NE GA to pick & dig your own trident my dude.
these trees are actually sourced from the same location... John Green of GreenThumb Bonsai is in partnership with Dave in North GA. John starts them as seedlings and Dave grows them out in the ground.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not bought it yet, but it is from South Carolina. I believe once shipped the weather here is not supposed to get below freezing. If it does, can the trident handle sub-freezing when leafed out?
No. They can't handle freezing when leafed out. Once in leaf, their roots lose their ability to withstand freezing. If the root mass is frozen through (as might happen in a truck on the way to your house), it can result in significant die back on the trunk or death of the tree.

I'd wait until late April to have this tree shipped north. Why take chances with late freezes which are quite possible through the middle of April.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've purchased trees from John Green and have been happy with them. They are field grown and maybe lack the trunk movement some are looking for. My understanding is that better material is available at bonsai shows, but I've never been. Outside of that, I thought the prices were fair.

The advice you received on shipping concerns is sound. Why take chances? If you want the tree, I would just give John a call and ask him to hold it for you until April - no biggie.

For what it's worth, I (stupidly) purchased two trees from Brussel's bonsai and had it shipped to me mid-winter. I seem to have lucked out, but this was a dumb move.

Top Bottom