Safe Way to Paint Hand Crafted Ceramic Pot- Advice

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thought I share and ask for some recommendation with the situation I have. This whole time locating a pot with the "Brownish Cream" with the dimensions I'm looking for is nearly impossible. I found this nice Japanese pot from Chicago that would be a perfect fit for my Japanese Maple but the color seems to "green" to me. The dimensions are Length- 22", Width- 16", and Height: 2.25", I couldn't be more luckier for the Owner of Hidden Garden in Willow, IL to sale me this pot for such a great price. I need to know if this was ever done before. Can you take a finish ceramic pot and repaint over the existing coat to have something similar to the "Brownish Cream" finish I'm aiming for? It doesn't have to be perfect., I really like that coat finish. I attach photos for you to view so please respond with comments.

Attachments

• Finish Coat.jpg
    Finish Coat.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Signature.jpg
    Signature.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Test View.jpg
    Test View.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 49

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. You CAN"T PAINT IT. or at least you'd be a fool to paint it.

Please, please, PLEASE don't paint the pot. For Christsakes... you apparently have signed, handemade Japanese pot. Paint will not alter the glaze underneath. The paint will only cover it up. Glazes are high fired glass. Paint it paint. You will wind up with a container that is mostly useless as the paint wears off in the weather (possibly damaging the tree in the pot) and stains the glaze...Paint it and you have a handcrafted doorstop or less. Jesus...

I

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the tree will look nice with that green glaze. Why don't you try it for a while to see if it grows on you. You can always sell the pot later. And in the meantime, you can contact some potters to see if anyone has a glaze like the one you're looking for.

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
All these go up to 23", pots by Yamafusa. I think that's what you have in the your pictures as well.

24y18a.jpg 78f26a.jpg 78f42wa.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Didn't mean to be insulting. Just a little speechless... Pot glazes are not paint. They are compounds sprayed, or applied to a pot before it has it final firing in the kiln. The compounds turn to vitrified glass on the exterior of the pot. They don't wear off. They get more muted as time passes. Paint will just deteriorate and possibly ruin a pretty nice hand-made pot.

If you paint the pot, it will eventually look like crap, as the paint chips, peels or otherwise comes off unevenly.

Keep this pot or sell it. I happen to think it works pretty well with the tree pictured. Nice proportions and the color is pretty good. Cream glazes for maples have become a bit overused IMO.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thought I share and ask for some recommendation with the situation I have. This whole time locating a pot with the "Brownish Cream" with the dimensions I'm looking for is nearly impossible. I found this nice Japanese pot from Chicago that would be a perfect fit for my Japanese Maple but the color seems to "green" to me. The dimensions are Length- 22", Width- 16", and Height: 2.25", I couldn't be more luckier for the Owner of Hidden Garden in Willow, IL to sale me this pot for such a great price. I need to know if this was ever done before. Can you take a finish ceramic pot and repaint over the existing coat to have something similar to the "Brownish Cream" finish I'm aiming for? It doesn't have to be perfect., I really like that coat finish. I attach photos for you to view so please respond with comments.

Yeah, as already stated, painting it is a no-go. And it's a no-go for all the reasons stated. I understand it can be frustrating looking for the perfect pot; we've all been there before.

Cream is a great color for a pot. It's very versatile, with the foliage all year. But, the pot you have is a good one. It's a Yamafusa pot (the signature is upside down in your picture), who make great glazed pots (I have a few). The current color will look awesome with spring and fall foliage, and great once the maple bark ages to silver and it's bare in the winter. It's a common color to pair with a maple. So while it may not have been exactly what you had in mind, it's not at all a bad option.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sounds like painting this hand crafted Japanese Pot is a "No No". In fact, "VaFisher" I thought about using this pot and seeing how it may look. Thanks for the input everyone, I will just repot my maple with this pot in March of 2018 and see how it turn out. It might turn out Great! I can always repot in two years. I will post the picture when the repotting is complete and get some feedback. Petebak do you have a good website to purchase the pot style you just posted? The third one looks great!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like painting this hand crafted Japanese Pot is a "No No". In fact, "VaFisher" I thought about using this pot and seeing how it may look. Thanks for the input everyone, I will just repot my maple with this pot in March of 2018 and see how it turn out. It might turn out Great! I can always repot in two years. I will post the picture when the repotting is complete and get some feedback. Petebak do you have a good website to purchase the pot style you just posted? The third one looks great!

Also, if you're after a pot that meets your exact needs, have you thought about having a potter make a custom one for you? There are more than a few American bonsai potters that can fill your bill exactly, with an excellent pot and glaze of your choosing. I've done this several times for trees. You don't have to get lucky finding one with the approximate dimensions.

Ron Lang will do that kind of work and consult you on what fits a certain tree, size, shape, glaze, etc. Then make one to those specifications. He's not cheap, but there are many other western bonsai potters who will do the same.
http://www.langbonsai.com/

Buying imported Japanese pots, especially in the size you're looking for, can be a crap shoot as far as meeting your ideas exactly. Larger Japanese imported pots tend to be limited to under 20" long or so-mostly because big pots don't fit in standard shipping boxes and are more likely to get broken en route to the U.S. That you found one this size is fortunate. Imported pots over 20" are not all that common.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually....I like the green pot. Let it grow on you for awhile. A little age and patina might calm down the pure color some...by then...you'll like the green.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Also, if you're after a pot that meets your exact needs, have you thought about having a potter make a custom one for you? There are more than a few American bonsai potters that can fill your bill exactly, with an excellent pot and glaze of your choosing. I've done this several times for trees. You don't have to get lucky finding one with the approximate dimensions.

Ron Lang will do that kind of work and consult you on what fits a certain tree, size, shape, glaze, etc. Then make one to those specifications. He's not cheap, but there are many other western bonsai potters who will do the same.

Buying imported Japanese pots, especially in the size you're looking for, can be a crap shoot as far as meeting your ideas exactly. Larger Japanese imported pots tend to be limited to under 20" long or so-mostly because big pots don't fit in standard shipping boxes and are more likely to get broken en route to the U.S. That you found one this size is fortunate. Imported pots over 20" are not all that common.

Thanks for all the input and potter's name to reach for a future pot. I might not even need it because everyone is suggesting to give this "Jade Green" a chance. Its not everyday you show up in a nursery in Chicago and find the perfect bonsai pot you been looking for the past year. I will give it a try and this color might just rub on me but lets see. I just can't wait to repot next year. This maple really brought out the "Green Thumb" in me. The perfect pot is the only missing piece to really enhance this Japanese Maple throughout the seasons. It look so natural when I look at it, the fall months is something I'm looking forward to.

Attachments

• 20170528_094742.jpg
    20170528_094742.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 21

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thought I share and ask for some recommendation with the situation I have.

(1) I agree the pot color is not quite right. It is too blue and too bright.
(2) Also, though I like the general shape and outline, I think it is too large.
(3) Don't ever paint a bonsai pot (for the reasons mentioned).

Solution: get a different pot :)

Though I will say I like that green pot a lot, it is not the right pot for that tree.

Top Bottom