Sage Brush

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Having lived in northern New Mexico and now in Colorado, these sages are everywhere. The look like natural bonsai. I recently dug up a couple of them and so far, so good. They are in very heavy clay soil, so it'll be interesting to experiment once they stabilize...

Good Luck! Welcome! Introduce yourself and put your location in your profile.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all I'm Moke from Utah, glad I stumbled upon this thread as I have been considering collecting some sagebrush for trainee's. Years and years ago I had one, but more as a house plant than a bonsai. I have recently started gathering bonsai trainee trees and you have all inspired me to to collect a sage and give it a go. If I cannot keep one alive where I live than it is a difficult plant to domesticate LOL. It grows all around my home like a weed, as well as some awesome Utah Juniper one of which I collected this early spring that I am thrilled with. Fingers crossed it pulls through. I will post some pics of it eventually. I am addicted to reading all the forums on Bnut and thrilled at all the knowledge experience you all are willing to share. Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all I'm Moke from Utah, glad I stumbled upon this thread as I have been considering collecting some sagebrush for trainee's. Years and years ago I had one, but more as a house plant than a bonsai. I have recently started gathering bonsai trainee trees and you have all inspired me to to collect a sage and give it a go. If I cannot keep one alive where I live than it is a difficult plant to domesticate LOL. It grows all around my home like a weed, as well as some awesome Utah Juniper one of which I collected this early spring that I am thrilled with. Fingers crossed it pulls through. I will post some pics of it eventually. I am addicted to reading all the forums on Bnut and thrilled at all the knowledge experience you all are willing to share. Thanks

Also from Utah! This post was a while ago I don't suppose you've learned any pointers for someone looking to collect some sagebrush?

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In El Paso Texas sage (purple) is everywhere. They self seed and grow everywhere if your yard is xerascaped. Never seen them sprout in the grassy areas. Once established they are almost impossible to kill. Alittle difficult to dig and plant. I have had some success but the tap root is long and if disturbed too much has always resulted in failure. That being said they are easy to find and if you can get it established the trunks twist and spiral and are quite interesting. These seem to backbud like crazy from any size branch including the older truck. I let one landscape sage get out of control and the photo shows I took it down to bare trunks a year ago. Now it's a topiary.

Attachments

• 20230322_111425.jpg
    20230322_111425.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom