Saguaro Hinoki with shimpaku like scale foliage, only tighter and blue green

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm excited about the awesome foliage on this

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Wissel's Saguaro' Cypress.

I got I think 3 different hinokis on my recent road trip to PA.
This Saguaro hinoki has the most remarkable blue green juniper foliage.
The trunk has remarkable texture for its age, and I'm betting it does not throw
juvenile foliage
after hard pruning.

DSC_6842.JPG

DSC_6843.JPG

DSC_6844.JPG

DSC_6848.JPG

DSC_6849.JPG

DSC_6852.JPG
Not at all like the Sekka, but compared, has improved blue distribution throughout, on all sides of the foliage, not just underneath as does Sekka.

DSC_6854.JPG
This is my 1st cut back, I have no idea when it was last potted up, so I'm leaving the rest on board for now.
Plus, I need to see how the branches take to wiring, so saving some sacrificial branches to practice on.
The union at the shoulder hopefully takes to wiring better than hemlock. I cleaned the moss off and around the trunk.

DSC_6855.JPG
I don't have a good track record with cuttings, but find this cultivar worth another shot.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Because of this tag I've thought that this was a type of cedar, instead I've got a new type of cypress.
20210701_195947.jpg

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Because of this tag I've thought that this was a type of cedar, instead I've got a new type of cypress.
View attachment 383955
Sorry I missed this post. Unfortunately, mine succumbed to light exposure difference I think.
Someone told me these don't do well here in my climate, but I had moved it from off my porch
last year when we went out of town and had a neighbors kid watering my trees.
I moved it to a spot with morning Sun only, and it went down hill from there.
Its life was only a few months in my care.

The cuttings I hope made it through Winter. They were still green and pliable going in.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love the Thuja "Primo" looks almost exactly like Hinoki but much stronger and grows faster also

View attachment 421186
I think i have one i got at Longwood Gdns this past Summer in a 2" pot.
Yeh here it is
20220220_185203.jpg
It is more full than appears here.
Has its Winter coat on. Potting up in April.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry I missed this post. Unfortunately, mine succumbed to light exposure difference I think.
Someone told me these don't do well here in my climate, but I had moved it from off my porch

The cuttings I hope made it through Winter. They were still green and pliable going in.
IMG_20220220_160922770_HDR~2.jpg
There were two in the pot when I got it,so I split them up. They survived the winter and are looking ok. Good luck with the cuttings.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on my second attempt with lazy (i.e. no bottom heat) rooting of "wissel's saguaro" cuttings. This cultivar doesn't root as effortlessly as, say, a juniper, but cuttings do stay green and firm for a very very long time (at least in this climate) which gives a broad time window for success.

Wissel's Saguaro is one of the easiest-to-bend species/cultivars I've come across, by far, so if anyone in the future is reading this and looking at a young one they just bought and are searching the forum for ideas, do something unique with it and cut a shari line into it and then bend the living crap out of it, making sure to twist the shari line. This species/cultivar forms callus and wood at an amazing rate.

Future reader, if you bend yours into a compressed pretzel as I did and want to extrude a nice live vein away from your shari at a fast rate, keep your running leader, just move it or guy wire it well out of the way and make sure to limit self-shading while you do that so that your interior growth is preserved.

Speaking of self-shading, in my experience so far, this species/cultivar is quite immune to heat waves (and cold waves) and prefers to be in blazingly full 100% sun. Do not put this in shade. Chamaecyparis is already prone to abandoning internally shaded growth on a seasonal basis, so persistent shade makes no sense for this species. Visit hot dry Southern Oregon in the summer and you'll see why -- port orford cedar has to compete with other very fast growing conifers and has no use for shaded growth since it wants to punch its way up to the top of the canopy ASAP. If growth you value is shaded, it's at risk of being abandoned within the next year or two. So you have to stay on top of it or it'll become yet another leggy landscape chamaecyparis.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very nice species.
I've been looking for Hinoki Primo for the last year but I can't find any sellers in the EU.
So I assume it hasn't crossed the ocean yet but if somebody knows a seller within the EU please give me a tip.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had one for a few years and it always looks like crap. I think I still have it, it might be in the compost pile.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the Thuja "Primo" looks almost exactly like Hinoki but much stronger and grows faster also
I like this plant as well. I think I have about 8 of them. They do look very much like a hinoki and they are doing well. However, I have found they grow very slowly.

Top Bottom