sakufu 2016 trees

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
bonsai is keeping me awake at night...

Me too. In a good way....
Wonderful trees, too bad the ume wasn't blooming yet. Post #3, 3rd tree, the stark white one, what is that please? Thanks for these pics, So jealous.:oops: But so nice that you share the experience with us. Also nicely done photos!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great photos DJ! And of course beautiful trees. Do you know who won? I think they only give one top prize that almost always has gone to a conifer bonsai. But there are other prizes given to best deciduous, etc.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
bonsai is keeping me awake at night...

Me too. In a good way....
Wonderful trees, too bad the ume wasn't blooming yet. Post #3, 3rd tree, the stark white one, what is that please? Thanks for these pics, So jealous.:oops: But so nice that you share the experience with us. Also nicely done photos!
Thanx Judy,
im happy to share them,
That tree is an iwashide, korean hornbeam, quite big one. 4th picture of post 4 is also one.
grtz

Reactions: Vin

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Great photos DJ! And of course beautiful trees. Do you know who won? I think they only give one top prize that almost always has gone to a conifer bonsai. But there are other prizes given to best deciduous, etc.
yes, it works indeed like that, the winner was the last tree of post one, big shimpaku by takashi iura,
a very impressive tree, though not my favourite

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yes, it works indeed like that, the winner was the last tree of post one, big shimpaku by takashi iura,
a very impressive tree, though not my favourite

Thanks DJ. I figured as much. Do you know who won best deciduous?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks DJ. I figured as much. Do you know who won best deciduous?
i believe that would be that big korean hornbeam, though it mentions something from agriculture minister award or something, not sure actually

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Interesting display with tree in a vase. That one is non-typical. Any story to that display?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Interesting display with tree in a vase. That one is non-typical. Any story to that display?
i dont know the story behind this , i actually like this a lot, the tree itself is yamakoubashi, lindera glauca as to wikipedia.

edit, actually many times at an exhibition there is at least 1 non tyical one, i dont always like it.
i somewhere have a picture of another one which i though was very nice, a flowering tree in a special pot, but cant seem to find the picture now

actually, if you look close you can see there is a crack in the vase, so it may well be that there is hole in the bottom or so, i think there probably is

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favourite is that last pine, it really looks like the old whitebarks I see in the mountains here. I think that kind of naturalistic upright form is becoming my most preferred type of conifer image.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Same, that JWP? looks very naturalistic to me. I love JRP on the second picture too. Thanks for nice pictures.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think saying that Japanese bonsai is all cookie cutter is a gross misunderstanding and misrepresentation of Japanese bonsai and culture.

At the Taikan-ten last year, I saw a very surprising display where someone used a western style painting instead of a traditional scroll. I personally did not like it but I admire the desire to do something a bit different and brake the mold.

Photo courtesy Bill Valavanis

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think saying that Japanese bonsai is all cookie cutter is a gross misunderstanding and misrepresentation of Japanese bonsai and culture.
I have always thought that there are lots of rule breaker trees that are actually celebrated there. I've seen a great many that are great trees because of the differences.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I've seen a great many that are great trees because of the differences.
Me, too!
I wonder though... Is it a new air brought to strict rules of japanese bonsai scene? Is this a change taking place or the difference was always there but had not so much of "publicity"?
Just wondering... I do not know a thing about bonsai...

Last edited:

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the skinny one in the vase too, I've had an idea to do something like that with an american beech,

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Me, too!
I wonder though... Is it a new air brought to strict rules of japanese bonsai scene? Is this a change taking place or the difference was always there but had not so much of "publicity"?
Just wondering... I do not know a thing about bonsai...
I don't think so, some of the "different" trees I've seen are quite old. I think a lot of people have a certain idea of what Japanese bonsai is and think there is little variation there. I think this isn't really the case, but I can only see what I can see on the internet and in books, so I'm far from being knowledgable about this. Perhaps @William N. Valavanis could help us out here?

Top Bottom