Salix Boydii (Boyd's Willow)

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just picked one up a dew minutes ago. Apparently Iseli is shipping these with their other ā€œconifer collectionā€ plants to nurseries for the annual spring ritual killing by homeowners. My nursery had 3 but I held back and picked the best one. It has an extremely healthy rootball so I am a bit anxious about how much to reduce it given how little information there is on care. I figure it is best to go slow and see what happens over the summer. I found one site that suggested in zone 7 to keep it out of summer sun especially if grown in a pot.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These apparently can be very slow to bud out. Mine really only started about May 1 and now has about 30 leaves open and more buds starting to show a little green. I have some small shohin pots and will pot it up next spring. I have it in a location where it is getting 6 hours of direct sunlight daily. The Iseli potting medium seems to be peat and shredded pine bark so drains fairly well and retains moisture. I plan to repot it into an inorganic mix next Alril now that I know what to watch for as it prepares to bud out. Nice gnarly roots that barely fit in the pot.

IMG_5534.jpeg

Top Bottom