Salvaging an Olive

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
A few months ago a friend and mentor passed away. He had sold off all of his trees as his health was failing, but when I went to help clean up his property I found this olive overturned under a bench. It was upside down, without any pot, and had a huge mass of extremely compacted soil, occupied by a ton of sedum. It only had a few leaves, so I put it into a pot the same size as it’s soil mass and began trying to save it. Once I had some decent growth and was seeing signs of life I repotted it this past weekend, as my research here has suggested ideal repotting during active growth. The soil mass was so broken down and compacted it was like dust the deeper I went. No water had been penetrating the soil anywhere near where roots should be. I found no signs of healthy roots even as I got as close to bare root as it would allow, but when I cut back stumps of larger roots there was living tissue there. I repotted it in 2:2:1 lava, pumice, akadama mix in a San Miller pot that I think suits it wonderfully. Now it’s time to see if I can get it healthy and vigorous and hopefully do some styling before too long. I feel like this will make a nice bonsai in time if it likes it’s new digs. This is the first olive I’ve worked with, so any thoughts or advice on design or horticulture are greatly appreciated.
5CF4F314-D406-4F83-96FD-D3A47EE93653.jpeg60BB2CBA-D198-4A22-BB33-4B77D2628CD2.jpegA2BF8A4D-077E-461F-AD8F-83C80A9E8478.jpeg2B40DE49-4DAD-4F7C-9F06-EE1A6CB71B5B.jpeg

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's a great find! I love the trunk and the big drip in the pot. You're right, it does suit it perfectly :D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It should be fine.

It will need winter protection when it gets down to freezing weather. Bring it inside. They can take a light frost, but not prolonged exposure to cold.

You’ll know it’s a happy camper when it starts sending out suckers on the lower trunk.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Beautiful trunk! Give it as much sun as possible and leave it outside until you reach freezing conditions. Greenhouse is then essential.

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great little trunk with wonderful character.
Full sun and feed, feed, feed.
Allow to regain vigour before further work.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Time for an update. This little guy has been moving right along. I have selected and wired the primary branches to build the canopy. Now I want to build up steam to get secondary branches back in closer to the trunk, so I have not shortened anything I’ve kept. It’s still very much in development, but moving along nicely.
6A40E7FB-46A1-430B-B340-54534B494709.jpeg

Top Bottom