Same tree cut different times

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Exact same species (bald cypress) exact same age. Cut off the one in the dirt after spring and after first foliage out pushed out. Cut one in rocks before spring and before first foliage. I have so much more to learn!!! On one with rocks would you all thin it up or let it go for a while?

Attachments

• 29F21D32-1361-4D98-882F-1050143D7365.jpeg
    29F21D32-1361-4D98-882F-1050143D7365.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 53

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry your question isn't that clear. Are you asking to reduce the number of branches on the one in rocks? I am pretty new and don't know the species.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I didn't comprende either. Still don't. There ain't anything there that requires a new decision. Come back in September.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes should I reduce or thin out branches on the one in rocks

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do not thin them out now. Autumn would be the earliest I would do anything.

Actually, after a "chop", more correctly, drastic pruning, You can wait 1 to 2 years before doing branch selection. During the waiting time, draw out, your plan for what you would like for these trees. Choose the size you want, style. You will need a plan, and as they are your trees, you need to make the choices.

Also, you should acquire potting media, the "rocks" you mention above are probably pumice. Or they look like pumice. Unless they are crushed granite. Also you will want to begin shopping for future training pots and eventually display bonsai pots.

Nice starts, You have nothing you need to do right now, but many things to research, drawing out your plan is the most important. If you can't draw, find photos of what you'd like the future trees to look like.

Top Bottom