San Jose cascade

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello All,
Some of you might remember this San Jose I posted a while ago.. This is a tree that I turned completely on it's side to train as a cascade. It took me about 2 years to come up with a plan for this tree. I almost gave up many times, but I knew there was something in there...

Pic 1 is the tree out of winter storage... Also, I am planning on putting this tree in a rock pot.. If there is a goog back to the pot, it will allow me the cover the stump with a higher soil level that will cover the exposed remains of the root ball was cut off.. The pot it is in right now is just a grow/training pot. The tree did a good job of rerouting the entire way it takes in nutrients...Also, I removed all the dead surface roots on the stump when I did this recent styling.. I never protected the stump because I figured I wanted the exposed roots to all die so the tree would realize that it needed to develop the side of the root ball that was now planted down into the soil.

Any comments are always appreciated ..and if someone has done anything similar to this, I would like to know how it turned out..

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 061.jpg
    pictures2 061.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 91
  • pictures2 074.jpg
    pictures2 074.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 86
  • pictures2 077.jpg
    pictures2 077.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 78
  • pictures2 089.jpg
    pictures2 089.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 91
  • pictures2 084.jpg
    pictures2 084.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WOW! That is amazing compared to what it used to look like back in the day...lol I remember when you came up with that little epiphany. :)

Looks great!

You do love your triangles. I hope that as it develops the symmetry of your trangles will be broken up by the exploration of negative space provided by deadwood. :cool:

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Miss Vic...lol......... Actually,, the triangles love me...lol...... I do not strive for them.. It is just that when I am done styling,,,and if the tree is balanced, it forms them on it's own...The tree dictates it, not me.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the 4 year progression for those interested. I would like to add that in the end of this progression, the back of the tree became the new front. This was the best angle for the tree. However, I had already carved the shari on the other side.. However, there is still room for a small shari on this side if I chose.

Pic 1 is shortly after a little styling and it put in a grow pot

Attachments

• san 1.jpg
    san 1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 62
  • pictures2 042.jpg
    pictures2 042.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 67
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello Miss Vic...lol......... Actually,, the triangles love me...lol...... I do not strive for them.. It is just that when I am done styling,,,and if the tree is balanced, it forms them on it's own...The tree dictates it, not me.

That's very true of juvenille tree forms Rob... what I can't wait for you to discover is an affection for older mature forms. :D

By the way... you've been prolific in your tree postings lately... you've done a wonderful amount of work this spring. Very nice all the way around.

Kindest regards as ever,

Victrinia

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's very true of juvenille tree forms Rob

hmmmm....I have been looking at and studying some of Kimuras trees recently ranging from 300-1000 years old and all form triangles:)

The thing is..that the triangle is very symbolic in nature..Also, although some want to rebel against the trinagle, it is actually not the triangle that needs to be rebelled against. It is almost like saying that you are rebelling against air...lol.... it is almost always present in nature....However, sometimes, it is a very abstract and inoccuous, but almost always there.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
All I can say is that I absolutely love this tree! It takes me back (to my childhood) to the hills of Southern Colorado where the Junipers and Pinions often cascade like this.

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello milehigh_7..That was very nice of you to say..The tree does have a nice feeling to it. It does have the dreaded San Jose bad, course foliage with a great trunk thing going on...

I am glad you enjoyed looking at the tree. and the essence of it being an old tree growing off the side of a cliff or hill is exactly the theme being portrayed.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the tree in a rock planter... Not the best picture though..

Attachments

• pictures2 003.jpg
    pictures2 003.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 38

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Rob, I have a tree along the same potting requirements, Iv'e asked Ridney Clemmons, and Jack Hoover, both suggested a slightly taller round pot vs. going to a cascade pot. I say this because I caught a little something from your post.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Bill....The issue that I was having was that since the tree was completely turned on it's side, there was some residual stump from where I cut that entire side of the root ball off... I came up with the idea that if I could get a rock pot with the right proportions, say I high back, I could make a high diagonal soil line, this would almost eliminate the look of the stump.. Also, there is moss on the tree in the pic, however, I removed it. I do not generally use or keep moss on my trees.

This tree is a very long way from being finished. Probably a good 5+ years. A apex needd to develop and the branches need to set... It went in this rock pot now because, one, it needed to get out of the pot it was in and 2, this pot is actually better for creating a nice 360 degree root system.

Rob

Top Bottom