San Jose Juniper Topiary to Bonsai

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently styled this san jose that i got from a garden nursery. I’m happy with how it turned out since it was basically a bush when i got it but I was hoping to get a few opinions on some issues that i have with it.

1) Height: I feel like the trunk line is too long and would be better if the base started at that first bend (widest point of the shari). If you agree, what would you do to fix this? My first thought was air layering, but what would be some consequences if i were to just bury it to that spot next time i go to repot? or is that just bad practice?

2) Bumpy: san joses are easily identified by the bumps along their trunks. aesthetically, i do not like them. would it be detrimental to take a knife to them and just cut them out? is their a way to safely remove them? or am i out of luck and just gotta live with them?

Thanks in advance.
E91976F7-C1C1-4A6F-AE8D-A7FA4F33049F.jpeg

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
You went from garden nursery plant to this in one shot? If so, that's amazing.
thank you. definitely took some time to get it to where its at now. the now front was originally the top of the bush so i had to drop a lot of branches to the back to make it more 3 dimensional. luckily the root ball wasnt that big. it was in a 15 gallon container but the top of the soil line was below the middle of the container so i slip potted it into the pot its in now. gave it some time to rest and started gradually reducing the branches. gave it some time again and it started pushing out new buds so i bit the bullet and decided to style it.
16B42486-D5EA-4132-8CE5-E84B1CC846A4.jpeg

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow that is gorgeous. I'd be ecstatic with that result. You might be too hard on yourself.
thank you! i started practicing bonsai in the beginning of quarantine last year around july so im always trying to learn more and get some feedback on my trees.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great actually.
Can I see a photo from pot level?
Down even with the edge of the pot - looking straight on.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome work. I have one I hope to attempt some styling on this year. I've never used copper wire, so it will be my practice tree. Bare rooted it last year, and it appears to be doing well.

PXL_20210417_153939360.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow! What a great piece of material to find!
And some good work with it!
Thanks for sharing it!
More pictures?

I would cover that root ball a bit more maybe.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The only thing I would do is to remove more of the foliage covering(hiding) the trunkline. I would want to see the trunk as much as possible the whole length. You have already done a marvelous job!
jpc 1.JPG
I'm a Trunkee...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
I agree this is a great piece already,

Maybe in real life could look different to the photo but it appears to have a nice wide base and you would lose this with your air layer I dont think it looks too long

As for the bumps I'd say as they are characteristic of the species I would probably leave them alone, jin are used to avoid the holes left when a branch is completely removed and removing the bumps will leave holes

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The tree looks good as it is in my opinion so I would not airlayer the trunk.
As far as I know a juniper also needs foilage beneath the airlayer to be succesful (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great start! Since you asked for comments:

(1) On the descending primary branch there is a branch that cuts back towards the trunk. You will want to eliminate this.
(2) The apex looks like a helmet. You need to refine the structure and clean up the branches with introduction of some negative space. Make sure you have a defined apex instead of a dome. Even now, when I look at my virt, I think the foliage is still too heavy. Make sure you can see the trunk.
(3) It is hard to make out the nebari in your photo, however I can see a lot of messy roots and a bunch of tangles at the soil level. You will obviously want to clean this up a lot when you repot.

cleanup.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom