San Jose juniper

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a San Jose juniper that I've had for nearly 20 years. It started as a 4" "bonsai starter" plant, survived a couple of moves, been in the ground, out of the ground, back in the ground, chopped, neglected, you name it. In September '05, I posted the raw tree on various forums, and got some virtuals back. Shortly after I cut everything away that I thought I didn't want, and by May '06 it really filled back in.

Attachments

• raw.JPG
    raw.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 70

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In May '06, I cut it back again. It kind of ended up where it was before!

Again, it grew very well, and in November '06 it took it to a workshop with Walter Pall. Before and after the workshop.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 47
  • prepall.JPG
    prepall.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 51
  • pallwkshp.JPG
    pallwkshp.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 73

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then a few weeks ago I repotted it. We removed all of the old soil (with a chopstick, did not wash the roots), and potted in equal portions of akadama, pumice and lava. The pot is one that I made, selected because it was the right size.

Eventually, I think I will jin the big root on the left side, and perhaps the one coming straight out the front, and tie them in with the shari.

I think it is coming along nicely, though I think I took the long way to get where it is today!

Attachments

• rs.JPG
    rs.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 39
  • potted.JPG
    potted.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one may grow into something someday, the jinned trunk on the left with the high branch, causes my eyes to stop there, I can't find a flow at this time. I think the tree is potted too high, exposing the roots too much, if it was potted lower, the nebari would be impressive. I also think a rectangular pot would suit the style better.

However, this species grows quickly and can be very forgiving, I think you have a decent base to build upon and I hope you keep us updated.

Will

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what you feed your trees, but this one certainly seems vigorous. I agree with Will, the well defined trunk would look more stable and enduring if planted a little deeper.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all for your replies. I will keep them in mind as this tree progresses.

-Darrell

Top Bottom