San Jose questions

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update

Just prune away the adult foliage when it shows up.

A belated thank you Dav4. It was a Daaaaaahhh moment for me. The tree seems more vigorous trimming out the adult foliage. Maybe my imagination..... I'm surprised at how fast it's developing. Jan 2013 and present July 2014. I have a controversial pot in mind for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 157
  • _MG_0825.jpg
    _MG_0825.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 159

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree looks great, nice and healthy! Have you treated the deadwood recently? It looks so good.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tree looks great, nice and healthy! Have you treated the deadwood recently? It looks so good.

Scrubbed it with a toothbrush and water. The epoxy is really easy to clean and you don't really notice the coating once it weathers.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
A belated thank you Dav4. It was a Daaaaaahhh moment for me. The tree seems more vigorous trimming out the adult foliage. Maybe my imagination..... I'm surprised at how fast it's developing. Jan 2013 and present July 2014. I have a controversial pot in mind for it.

Ab that tree looks great! How did you get the juvenile foliage to take over? Most people want the mature stuff on junipers but on San Jose it looks ratty. I have one with a similar problem. Mixed foliage all over makes the tree look sloppy.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree rocks, the 2013-2014 comparison is wonderful. Great job, thanks for posting

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree! The progression in such a short time is impressive.

What he said...beautiful tree and the fullness that has developed in such a short time, after 20 years of not ,,,,you are obviously doing the right things. Thank you for posting the update.

Rose

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow....off to go cut adult foilage!

Nice. Real nice.

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ab that tree looks great! How did you get the juvenile foliage to take over? Most people want the mature stuff on junipers but on San Jose it looks ratty. I have one with a similar problem. Mixed foliage all over makes the tree look sloppy.

Thanks. As Dav4 said "Just cut off the adult foliage when it shows up". The juvenile growth is still coarse but at least it's consistent and seems to fill out the space better. It kinda looks like giant Procumbens.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What he said...beautiful tree and the fullness that has developed in such a short time, after 20 years of not ,,,,you are obviously doing the right things. Thank you for posting the update.

Rose

Thanks. Actually I'm just starting to pay attention to it instead of just let it grow on the bench.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
New pot for an old ceremony.
Placing this in the new pot was a little more than slip potting and 3 years since its last repot. It a little bigger (rounded rectangle) than the previous oval pot. It didn't like it one bit and is slowing recouping. I wonder if its an age thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 133

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the pot! The trunk is fantastic!

Let's tighten up the foliage:

NO PINCHING!

That will leave brown tips. If you need to shorten s branch, use sharp scissors and cut back into brown wood. Cut little tufts out.

Sit so that your eye is right at branch level, and cut out all the downward growing branches and twigs. As you work around the tree, adjust your chair height or the tree stand do that your eye stays level with the branch you're working on.

When you do this right, all the green foliage will appear to be above the branch. You should see the brown branches, the structure, and then the foliage above. You'll probably have to do some detail wiring, too. Tedious work. But the tree is worth it!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do....but nothing smaller than 20 gauge and nothing larger than 10 gauge. If I have to use larger than 10 gauge the tree is to heavy to pick up.;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
New pot for an old ceremony. Placing this in the new pot was a little more than slip potting and 3 years since its last repot. It a little bigger (rounded rectangle) than the previous oval pot. It didn't like it one bit and is slowing recouping. I wonder if its an age thing.

Very nice! And a tribute to your patience and kindness. I miss Dave as well - Great Man too;)

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Awesome piece of material. My fingers started bleeding just looking at those needles! Had one San Jose and dang are those needles rough on the hands!

Top Bottom