Sand Cherry (Prunus cistena) worth the effort?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Previous owner tried and failed to take out purple leaf sand cherry out of his landscaping. Looks like he just used a dull ax and left a mangled stump. A drunken beaver would have done a better job. I'll take a pic this afternoon to post.

I can pull it and toss it, or take some more care removing it next spring and put it in a pot. Anyone have experience with these? Opinions? There are a few pics of sand cherry bonsai but most are just sticks, not really good examples. That suggests to me that they must be problematic.

Brian

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's looks good on google, you should always put it in a pot instead of tossing it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ColinFraser got one.

Its not problematic until you decide that in your microclimate!

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics of said cherry....

Attachments

• sand cherry 1.jpg
    sand cherry 1.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 94
  • Sand cherry 2.jpg
    Sand cherry 2.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 92

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Further reading reveals two potential challenges - short lifespan (15 - 20 yrs), and susceptible to pest and diseases, including: Asian beetles, peachtree borer, scale, fall webworm, aphids, mealy bugs, tent caterpillars, honey fungus, verticillium wilt, black knot, cankers, powdery mildew, leaf spot, bacterial leaf scorch, and frost cracks. I would guess these two problems are related.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Colin.

I'd till dig it for the sake of education.

Better it than something better!

Sorce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Trees in the landscapes here sucker like crazy. Maybe a good thing if the original trunk craps out. Not sure how well the leaves reduce.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have 2 potential sand cherry bonsai. However I am having trouble growing them. I have used a good general soil with lava, akadama , fine gravel , humus , ba withrk ,pumice and orchid bark.
I am feeding them gently and including vitamins and minerals . Watering most days unless rain. However the trees look rough with dry white patches. I am a bit of a loss ?

Top Bottom