Sand for Propagation

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've just built a propagation box a la Mike Kincead but the only builder's sand I could find at my hardware store was some odd 'coarse' gray stuff. I put that word in quotation marks because once I planted some cuttings and soaked the medium, the sand got pretty hard and compact, to the point where I am having doubts that any roots will actually be able to push through it. I'll have to find the bag to give an update on the exact brand but that's not desirable for cuttings I'm sure.

I know the sand needs to be coarse and somewhat loose to be a proper substrate, but is it common for sand to get that tough after watering? I had done a preliminary soak to try and drain out the dust and fine particles but perhaps that didn't work and what I'm seeing is just the fines gumming up the substrate. Any advice?

Also the shade cloth I bought was for windows technically, and is either 75-85% shade. Is this too much? The only direct light that this box will get is midday sun when it's directly overhead, otherwise it's all blocked by the garage and shed.

Please ignore the awful looking walls, this area has been neglected for years 😅
Snapchat-431461728.jpg

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
i don’t like using sand

I get the best results with 3 parts perlite, 1 part coco husk fibre

perlite should fine, but not dust

Well rinsed

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i don’t like using sand

I get the best results with 3 parts perlite, 1 part coco husk fibre

perlite should fine, but not dust

Well rinsed
Can I substitute the coco husk fiber for something more readily available in my area, like pine bark or peat moss? I'm assuming it's there for water retention purposes

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also use perlite and coco peat for cuttings. Real peat is getting hard to find now and coco peat is a much more renewable alternative and much cheaper. If you only have peat available it is the older traditional component of propagating mix and good to use.

I suspect your builders sand has fines and clay components that contribute to its compaction problems. It is probably specially selected to do that as a component in concrete or render or for packing under concrete slabs.
If you want to stick with sand fr the mix try the plant sections at the hardware or big box stores or look for a nursery or landscape supplier to see if you can find propagating sand which is specifically selected and graded for the purpose. The landscape yard may be able to suggest more suitable alternatives if they don't have specific propagation sand.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can substitute with play sand, fir/pine bark fines, NAPA 8822, pumice fines. You can basically use anything that will drain but will retain some moisture at the same time. I like to use NAPA 8822 or monto clay for propagating cuttings.

Top Bottom