Flower Girl
Reaction score

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you going to chop it down?
not yet. i was just going to let it thicken some more this year. i know i don't want a monstrous first chop scar, but I don't want to cut off that leader energy too early either. soooo many decisions to think about when growing from seedlings.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i had repotted and root pruned any heavy roots in February and put it in a colander.

after tying down. nice root base forming as planned.
20230221_173035.jpg
20230221_173011.jpg

today

20230612_120619.jpg20230612_120732.jpg

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice looking roots to keep buried.
it's a must at this stage. all these small roots that have come out happened because i pruned the 5 main roots at the last repot and kept the nebari out of the light and wind. you can see a few of the original 5 roots have started to bark up already, too. if i had left the nebari exposed to the sun and wind 2 years ago when i repotted, i would've never got these small roots coming out because they would've been too lignified to bifurcate and 'backbud' so to speak. ramification in the nebari is something i like to see, and a tree in a pot with a nebari that consists of three or four monstrous roots, damn near the same size as the trunk, just passes the uncanny valley for me.

Top Bottom