Sandblasting For Deadwood?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm nowhere near doing deadwood carving or the like, but the thought just popped into my head: wouldn't sandblasting make for some very smooth and natural looking deadwood?

I've never done sandblasting myself before, but I'm familiar with the concepts behind it, and was intrigued enough by the notion I wanted to hear others' thoughts or experiences.
Anyone ever tried it? What do you think the upsides/downsides would be relative to more conventional techniques?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've seen sandblasted wood and powerwashed wood. Powerwashed wood had a nicer and more natural fiber structure.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm nowhere near doing deadwood carving or the like, but the thought just popped into my head: wouldn't sandblasting make for some very smooth and natural looking deadwood?

I've never done sandblasting myself before, but I'm familiar with the concepts behind it, and was intrigued enough by the notion I wanted to hear others' thoughts or experiences.
Anyone ever tried it? What do you think the upsides/downsides would be relative to more conventional techniques?
Yes, this is a very common technique. What normally is done though is work the deadwood with regular tools first, and sandblasting to smoothen the newly exposed structures.

One of the main persons for this sort of work I think would be https://andresbicocca.wordpress.com/

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks!
It seemed like a common sense approach when I thought of it, but I've never come across it before.
I'm actually glad to know it's not novel.
My dad has a sandblasting setup he's never used, and I'm interested in toying with it some on my wood carving projects.

@Wires_Guy_wires would you happen to have any links relating to the power washing?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks!
It seemed like a common sense approach when I thought of it, but I've never come across it before.
I'm actually glad to know it's not novel.
My dad has a sandblasting setup he's never used, and I'm interested in toying with it some on my wood carving projects.

@Wires_Guy_wires would you happen to have any links relating to the power washing?
No I don't, but I remember a seeing a video from what I think was Eastern Leaf on youtube, visiting an asian juniper collector in California or Florida with HUGE junipers. The collector mentioned he tried both methods and told that power washing was his favorite.
I remember all the times I powerwashed the wooden garden furniture and it always ends up with a nice grainy structure and a bunch of exposed splinters after drying them in the sun.
Too bad my own power washer is broken, but if I ever replace it I'll take some pictures of the deadwood that I plan on power washing.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No I don't, but I remember a seeing a video from what I think was Eastern Leaf on youtube, visiting an asian juniper collector in California or Florida with HUGE junipers. The collector mentioned he tried both methods and told that power washing was his favorite.
I remember all the times I powerwashed the wooden garden furniture and it always ends up with a nice grainy structure and a bunch of exposed splinters after drying them in the sun.
Too bad my own power washer is broken, but if I ever replace it I'll take some pictures of the deadwood that I plan on power washing.
That'd be great!
Thanks!

Top Bottom