Sandpaper tree (Ehretia Anacua)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone used Sandpaper tree (Ehretia Anacua) for bonsai? I can't seem to find any bonsai pics of it through Google.

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=35
anaqua150.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/centavo/7322250554/in/photostream/
7322250554_5c8166b326_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/centavo/7322251900/in/photostream/
7322251900_1f0e403008_z.jpg

https://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Ehretia_anacua.html
Ehretia_anacua_bark.jpg

Ehretia_anacua_flowers.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Send me one and I will try it :p Honest this post is the only reason I know they even exist, could be an interesting specimen to try :D

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Grimmy, I read that Austin is it's northern limit. Unless you want to try another semi-tropical tree.

Even here they are supposed to not bloom or fruit. :( I have a local friend who told me it is a nice tree to bonsai...just curious why I cannot find any pics ...even a stick in a pot.

I have a candidate 40 gallon tree chosen by my wife (pre-approved for acquisition) and will post pics IF I get it. :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, I read that Austin is it's northern limit. Unless you want to try another semi-tropical tree.

Even here they are supposed to not bloom or fruit. :( I have a local friend who told me it is a nice tree to bonsai...just curious why I cannot find any pics ...even a stick in a pot.

I have a candidate 40 gallon tree chosen by my wife (pre-approved for acquisition) and will post pics IF I get it. :)

Sounds like fun! Also would like to see! Honest seems we have enough that needs to be inside this coming Winter so I would pass. I still have not gotten the indoor lighting and shelves installed in the closet conversion. I did get the doors off, a mildew resistant paint(3 coats) and a power outlet in but other renovations a repairs are more important atm :rolleyes:

Grimmy

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that an Anaqua? Try looking for it under that name.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a small one as a bonsai once upon a time. Leaves are large but reduce somewhat. they grow wild down here and come up all over the place from seed. If you have allergies, they, along with Texas ebonies seem to be the worst culprits a couple of weeks after a rain, when they bloom.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a small one as a bonsai once upon a time. Leaves are large but reduce somewhat. they grow wild down here and come up all over the place from seed. If you have allergies, they, along with Texas ebonies seem to be the worst culprits a couple of weeks after a rain, when they bloom.

Good to know. We do have allergies but the worst for me is Cedar pollen...it makes me really miserable.

From what I've read, they do not bloom north of San Antonio for some reason. A shame since I like the berries/fruits but may be a blessing if what you stated is true about the flower. :)

Thanks!

3emm

Seed
Reaction score
hi, i am from the northeastern part of Mexico and here we have a lot of big anaquas... i have collected some anaquas and they tolerate very good root pruning (i have collected some without feeder roots, but it root if the tree have some root tissue, maybe if we etiolate a branch it can root?), also you can propagate it by root cuttings ;).
i tried to propagate it by air layer but it only creates callous tissue.

it grows very fast here in the zone 9b and tolerates alkaline soil (i have been using 30% of charcoal in my soil mix).

sorry if my inglish isnt very good

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hi, i am from the northeastern part of Mexico and here we have a lot of big anaquas... i have collected some anaquas and they tolerate very good root pruning (i have collected some without feeder roots, but it root if the tree have some root tissue, maybe if we etiolate a branch it can root?), also you can propagate it by root cuttings ;).
i tried to propagate it by air layer but it only creates callous tissue.

it grows very fast here in the zone 9b and tolerates alkaline soil (i have been using 30% of charcoal in my soil mix).

sorry if my inglish isnt very good

Thanks. Heard exactly the same info about root work, root propagation and air layering from a local friend. I appreciate the input a lot. :)

Top Bottom