Sango Kaku Thoughts?

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello Bonsai Nuts!
I'm new here and have been reading about the art of Bonsai for years but with very little practice. The extra time at home has re-inspired me to try again and take it a little more seriously this time.
Very cool forum here with alot to sift through but would be interested in community thoughts or suggestions.
With that I just found a decent Sango Kaku at a bix box store and want to do something with it.
I see it has been grafted so kind of a bummer. Thought about
1. Grow as is, maybe air layer the top off
2. Air layer just above the graft and near the top

With trunk being important what is the best way to get good Nebari on this one?
Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• SangoKakuTrunk.jpg
    SangoKakuTrunk.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 156
  • SangoKakuRaw.jpg
    SangoKakuRaw.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 165

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Number 2. Coffee bean.
Lol as hell!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you want a bigger trunk, I'd ground grow it for a few years, THEN air layer above the graft. The root stick that it is grafted to will be a stronger and more vigorous rootbase. Therefore, your tree will grow faster. If you're satisfied with the trunk size, air layer right away. I'd personally go with ground growing for awhile.

Aaron

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want a bigger trunk, I'd ground grow it for a few years, THEN air layer above the graft. The root stick that it is grafted to will be a stronger and more vigorous rootbase. Therefore, your tree will grow faster. If you're satisfied with the trunk size, air layer right away. I'd personally go with ground growing for awhile.

Aaron
I'm following the same plan with my sango kaku. Then I'll find the most interesting trunk line and layer from there in a year or two.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thank you for the great suggestions! I went ahead and air layered just the trunk just below the bottom feeder branch and put in shady spot. After it roots do you think I could pop both the air layer and the trunk in the ground before winter or wait till spring?

Attachments

• 20200628_171248.jpg
    20200628_171248.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200628_175642.jpg
    20200628_175642.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 103

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My concern is whether or not Sango Kaku is hardy for you, in your zone. It's my understanding that it is one of the cultivars that can suffer a lot of dieback in cold areas. You might check around and see if any are being grown in the ground in your area.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hmmm...good to know. Looks like I might be right on the edge. Seems we have been having warmer winters that I noticed within last 5 years. Report study from Purdue is projecting that Indiana is actually moving towards a 6A zone within this decade. Thank you for pointing that out!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Something to consider for the future to get more trees in a shorter time from a very tall tree:
Year 1: airlayer right in the middle. Now you have two that are about the same height.
Year 2: airlayer both of those right in the middle. Now ya got 4 trees after just two years. :)

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Great advice from you all. Thank you. This community is awesome!

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Update:
So after checking the air layer I see there were some fairly decent long brown roots although thin. Decided to seperate both and get em potted. Well.. after the chop and delicately removing the holding container the moss just fell away from the base as soon as I opened it... taking some of the roots with it! I was very careful and slow and it still happened. Ugh.. now I know why finely chopped moss is the way to go. So there were only a few thin roots left and now hoping for the best after the potting.

I've read that reducing the foliage on maples to accommodate small air layer roots will help ensure success. Any thoughts? Any hope? Dead tree walking?

Attachments

• 20200923_182421.jpg
    20200923_182421.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200923_182433.jpg
    20200923_182433.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 71

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update:
So after checking the air layer I see there were some fairly decent long brown roots although thin. Decided to seperate both and get em potted. Well.. after the chop and delicately removing the holding container the moss just fell away from the base as soon as I opened it... taking some of the roots with it! I was very careful and slow and it still happened. Ugh.. now I know why finely chopped moss is the way to go. So there were only a few thin roots left and now hoping for the best after the potting.

I've read that reducing the foliage on maples to accommodate small air layer roots will help ensure success. Any thoughts? Any hope? Dead tree walking?
Now you wait and let the tree do its thing......

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you recommend reducing foliage?
You can if you want, but the tree will do it on its own....it will balance itself. Keep the substrate moist, and wait to see if it survives.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plastic bag it!
Out of the sun, out of the wind.

Is the plant properly immobilized in the pot?

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Plastic bag it!
Out of the sun, out of the wind.

Is the plant properly immobilized in the pot?

Ah ha yes..just now got clear bags around both. Thank you for the suggestion.
How long should I keep the bags on?

Yes I was able to wire them down and secure to lip of pot to stabilize
and sitting in an open door cold frame on the deck.
Might move to unheated garage after leaf drop and cross my fingers till spring.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
You can if you want, but the tree will do it on its own....it will balance itself. Keep the substrate moist, and wait to see if it survives.

Ah ok...I'll try not to panic...lol. Thanks for the tips!
This is my first air layer so learning as I go.
Very thankful for this community

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah ok...I'll try not to panic...lol. Thanks for the tips!
This is my first air layer so learning as I go.
Very thankful for this community
Before separating the air layer, you should have done your research beforehand verse scrambling after the fact. Not to mean this in a negative way, but knowledge is power.

Top Bottom