gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So my parents have this sango-kaku that had a lot of die off the past 2 winter's. There's still a live branch on it, and there's new growth all over the trunk, so I have hope! But my parents want to rip it out and start new.

What's your experience with sango-kakus? Think I should try to bonsai this ugly stump?

Attachments

• 1494534449864450905710.jpg
    1494534449864450905710.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 14945344676752092173792.jpg
    14945344676752092173792.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1494534486854883074879.jpg
    1494534486854883074879.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 117

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, if it's leafed out, it iffy... it's best to wait until early spring, just before the buds open.
In the pics, it looks like its partially leafed out....I'd wait if possible.
But if it can't wait, might as well try...it's gonna become firewood anyway.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, if it's leafed out, it iffy... it's best to wait until early spring, just before the buds open.
In the pics, it looks like its partially leafed out....I'd wait if possible.
But if it can't wait, might as well try...it's gonna become firewood anyway.
I think it should hold out for the summer, idk what this trees problem is. It's main trunk keeps dying and is forced to start a new one. I think it's so gnarled and rotted in some spots that it's effecting the living portion. Taking it out and cleaning it up next spring will hopefully help it out

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can never keep Sango kaku alive, either. Do you have an unheard garage to keep it in winter? If it couldn't thrive in the ground, it would probably meet the same fate in a pot unless you can offer more protection.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can never keep Sango kaku alive, either. Do you have an unheard garage to keep it in winter? If it couldn't thrive in the ground, it would probably meet the same fate in a pot unless you can offer more protection.
Yes I do have an unheated garage! I keep a lot of my bonsai in there during the winter. Mostly the babies, and the fragile ones! Lol

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think it should hold out for the summer, idk what this trees problem is. It's main trunk keeps dying and is forced to start a new one. I think it's so gnarled and rotted in some spots that it's effecting the living portion. Taking it out and cleaning it up next spring will hopefully help it out
Sango kaku is notorious for being far less cold hardy than many other acer palmatum. I often see it listed as hardy only to zone 6, but I believe zone 7 is probably more accurate. This could perhaps explain why it has not prospered in its current location.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I hate to be negative but I would never plant a coral bark maple. They always look anemic. You see them in front of peoples houses and I've never seen even one that looks like it's even halfway close to thriving. and I live in a place where it'sa pretty easy life for plants ... ( San Francisco Bay Area.) Maybe they do better in other parts of the country? They are unique, but they always look like they're half dead.
Ian

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've got a Sango Kaku down here in usda zone 7 GA that's been thriving since being planted 4-5 years ago. It saw 2 degrees f 3 years ago without die back. I'm pretty sure the one I planted in zone 6 MA croaked though:confused:.
I believe sangos can handle the below freezing temps. I think it's the 1 or 2 weeks of sub zero temps that keep killing it off :/

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hate to be negative but I would never plant a coral bark maple. They always look anemic. You see them in front of peoples houses and I've never seen even one that looks like it's even halfway close to thriving. and I live in a place where it'sa pretty easy life for plants ... ( San Francisco Bay Area.) Maybe they do better in other parts of the country? They are unique, but they always look like they're half dead.
Ian
No I completely agree. It's almost as though if you let them do their own think, they kill themselves! I mean their native home is thousands of miles away..

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No I completely agree. It's almost as though if you let them do their own think, they kill themselves! I mean their native home is thousands of miles away..
Maybe the word Sango-kaku translates to "suicidal tree" aka Sango-kaku kamikaze...lol!

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure if it's temperatures anymore. I just ordered a Winter Flame (also pink bark, but smaller) from Oregon. Oregon winters can't be that bad. It's full of scars like the branches almost died back, but somehow survived and healed. It's definitely a goner in Massachusetts this winter. I'll try and keep it in the shed to see if it helps.

Top Bottom