Sangokaku Propagation

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The nursery wants $185.00 for a 6' tree that has an ugly graft. I could get 4-6 air layers from it, but that seems like a lot of money. I'll check around.

Look at it this way.......you buy the tree for $185 and you can pull say 6 AL from that tree plus you have the mother tree (most likely a plain AP) you end up with 7 trees for the price of $26 each. The time it would take to grow a tree the same size from a seed compared to what you can AL is worth $26 in my opinion. Then you can trade or sell what you don't need for other cultivars and grow your collection. Cultivars on their own root stock is generally preferred over a graft.

I enjoy bonsai, but I enjoy the growing/propagation aspect just as much.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm curious about the propagation progress because I've got a sango Kaku I picked up last fall at homey despot that was marked way down. It made it through the winter and leafed out. I'm contemplating air layering one of the branches and taking cuttings of some others once they harden in may / June. How the original op made it?15859550944658734504144639241400.jpg15859551182997903556777641362123.jpg

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm curious about the propagation progress because I've got a sango Kaku I picked up last fall at homey despot that was marked way down. It made it through the winter and leafed out. I'm contemplating air layering one of the branches and taking cuttings of some others once they harden in may / June. How the original op made it?View attachment 293411View attachment 293412

That is some really green bark for a coral bark maple. Think you may have a mislabeled plant on your hands. Mine is stark red everywhere except the largest areas of the trunkline.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm curious about the propagation progress because I've got a sango Kaku I picked up last fall at homey despot that was marked way down. It made it through the winter and leafed out. I'm contemplating air layering one of the branches and taking cuttings of some others once they harden in may / June. How the original op made it?View attachment 293411View attachment 293412

Sango kaku's young branches need sun in the fall to turn that bright red color in the winter. Did you have it under cover? Once they leaf out the color changes again.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yea all the colors seem off to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_081513.jpg
    IMG_20200331_081513.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 29

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sango kaku's young branches need sun in the fall to turn that bright red color in the winter. Did you have it under cover? Once they leaf out the color changes again.
I bought it in October. The branches and the trunk were green then. I wintered it against my house with an East exposure. It got some morning sun but not much at all. I guess it's another Acer palmatum variety. I like the leaves though and the branches tend to create interesting curves and bends on their own.

Would the timing of when to air later and take cuttings to root be affected much by the variety?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought it in October. The branches and the trunk were green then. I wintered it against my house with an East exposure. It got some morning sun but not much at all. I guess it's another Acer palmatum variety. I like the leaves though and the branches tend to create interesting curves and bends on their own.

Would the timing of when to air later and take cuttings to root be affected much by the variety?

What I learned about buying from Homedepot is that they mix tags all the time. You have to know what you are buying and not rely on the tags.

If I had to bet on that being a Sango Kaku, I wouldn't cause i don't believe that's one......it's just to green. But it is grafted so it's a cultivar for sure, the question is which one? Homedepot doesn't get many cultivars in so just keep a looking at their JM hopefully you will see one like yours then you will know.

Here's my sango kaku. I took thsee pics this afternoon when I was watering the trees. Notice how red they are still.

20200404_140826.jpg20200404_140833.jpg

Top Bottom