Sapling Division: Cjr Bald Cypress Forest

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I'm saying is setting the bag in water or otherwise trapping moisture so the bag/soil interface cannot dry out defeats their effectiveness because the roots will still circle and not die.
Once again, and I'm going to leave the thread because we are polluting it. This is why I say you keep missing the point. The bags I use DON'T AIR PRUNE, so they don't need to be dry. They are build for IN GROUND growing. If you use an air pruning bag, you can not do what I am doing, or grow trees with them in the ground.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
CJR, ok just read this thread, sounds like a cool project. I was thinking about your desire for flare and I was wondering if you had thought about screwing the trees to a board? It keeps the big roots growing out instead of down and by doing that you get some butressing and flare. Like this one:

You could lay out the whole forest on the board, screw it down, and let the trees fuse. This also keeps the roots shallow so you can get it into a thinner pot.

I was looking at the second swamp picture that you posted. I think the lack of knees is because they appear to be pond cypress instead bald cypress. Pond cypress don't tend to make knees as often as bald cypress.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
CJR, ok just read this thread, sounds like a cool project. I was thinking about your desire for flare and I was wondering if you had thought about screwing the trees to a board? It keeps the big roots growing out instead of down and by doing that you get some butressing and flare. Like this one:

You could lay out the whole forest on the board, screw it down, and let the trees fuse. This also keeps the roots shallow so you can get it into a thinner pot.

I was looking at the second swamp picture that you posted. I think the lack of knees is because they appear to be pond cypress instead bald cypress. Pond cypress don't tend to make knees as often as bald cypress.
I did the Ebihara method on a couple BCs. Compared to the rest of the same batch, I couldn't see much difference. I think keeping the roots to only one tier and planting the trees in loose, moist soil would do the trick for getting the flare I want. The forest right now is only in 2.5" of soil at the edge and 3" at the center. I think I pretty much can put them in any forest pot if they are kept growing this way.

Some day I might try your suggested method. I will keep that in mind. Right now my two forest are doing very well. In both forests, the focal tree was severely pruned to fit the forest planting so they are struggling a little. Once they recover, I think the forests will be looking great.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I did the Ebihara method on a couple BCs. Compared to the rest of the same batch, I couldn't see much difference. I think keeping the roots to only one tier and planting the trees in loose, moist soil would do the trick for getting the flare I want. The forest right now is only in 2.5" of soil at the edge and 3" at the center. I think I pretty much can put them in any forest pot if they are kept growing this way.

Some day I might try your suggested method. I will keep that in mind. Right now my two forest are doing very well. In both forest, the focal tree was severely pruned to fit the forest planting so they are struggling a little. Once they recover, I think the forests will be looking great.

Ok, sounds like you have a plan. I don't call it the Ebihara method, he wasn't the only one planting on a board, he just managed to make into a magazine...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ok, sounds like you have a plan. I don't call it the Ebihara method, he wasn't the only one planting on a board, he just managed to make into a magazine...
Whatever we want to call it is fine. I just like screwing. :D

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Growing well except for the big tree in the middle. It is slowly recovering.

Attachments

• A21572D2-BC7B-472E-AB08-8F4ADE08BEC5.jpeg
    A21572D2-BC7B-472E-AB08-8F4ADE08BEC5.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 26

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The forest is growing well. The main tree is lagging but its size is way ahead of others so in a few months it will recover and be just fine as the dominant tree I envision for the forest. In the coming days I will figure out what I want to do with each tree. I think that for a forest to be beautiful, each tree has to be cared for just like a child in a big family with many children. Each will have its own takes, its own development, and its own space.

ABE173DA-AFF6-40B6-99BB-453E47614A38.jpeg

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The shoots are now up to 20” long. The roots are beginning to act like one unit. I need to move the forest to a pot next year for sure. The bigger BC is beginning to grow. It needs to catch up with the smaller trees.
4F7710CC-9D4A-4057-B70A-49DABF209A32.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Big tree is gaining strength. Time to cut back the smaller ones?
BC711076-9423-4244-AE91-ECBE4E6B8046.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Major pruning for all the small BCs. The trunks of the two larger ones were chopped about 2”. The big one was untouched.
CD389ECF-5066-488D-88E7-26C157F6A654.jpeg
F221936D-2B16-4AE1-81E7-6FCAF92C94AE.jpeg
08473328-6E7D-4F11-9C92-AA2B478F159F.jpeg
7DCB28AD-6403-4337-B42C-FFD67F3E169C.jpeg

Top Bottom