Sapling Division: Kanorin’s Wild Plum Forest

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My order from the Missouri dept of conservation came in, which means its Forest season!

What I got here was a mixed bag of wild plum bare root seedlings including American plum, sandhill plum, Osage plum, river plum, goose plum, hog plum, wild yellow plum, august plum, red plum, sand cherry, and sloe.

Prepared up a nice and deep pot for the plum forest. Ended up having more tie wires than I needed because many of them had almost nothing to tie too. Just tied in the three biggest trees.
00144568-6AF9-465B-A7EE-76C3EE11F685.jpeg

and here is the finished product. Definitely will prune some of these down to keep some trunks smaller.
AABA8CC2-55C3-4664-A5AB-BAF1F61910E5.jpeg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! I got a 10 pack of wild plum from the Missouri Department of Conservation too. I'll have to go look at them again...I remember mine being scrawier than those.

I honestly don't know why I got them, hehe. Maybe I'll make them into a forest too and we can have a friendly competition to finally decide which side of the state is better ;)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Forgot to update this one, but only 3 of the plums in the pot survived. Maybe they don't tolerate root pruning too well. I think a couple succumbed to a fungal issue before I could get on top of it too. I had better survival from a few that I planted in the ground (and also did less root reduction on). I've got a few more wild plum seedlings coming in this spring. We shall try again!

Top Bottom