Sapling Division: Kanorin's Pinus echinata (shortleaf pine) forests (x2)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For the first forest, I took epoxy and glued these two flat rocks together. Epoxy was also used to anchor the tie-down wires. Then I made a muck wall. The idea is to elevate the left side slightly so it looks like a cliff overlook.
IMG-4852.jpg
IMG-4853.jpg

For the second forest, I used this cool geode-type rock that had three holes in it. That was put on a terra cotta saucer that I had drilled drainage holes in (yay for a $7 forest pot). I mainly just secured the rock to the saucer with wires, then placed the trees and filled them in without tying them down because they are so tiny and don't really have any substantial roots to tie to.
IMG-4891.jpgIMG-4892.jpg
IMG-4893.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are both super dead. In fact, all 25 of my pinus echinata seedlings died this year - even some that I put into the ground. They looked pretty poor when I received them and I'm not sure anything was going to bring them back. (although I bet cutting off some roots didn't help).

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are both super dead. In fact, all 25 of my pinus echinata seedlings died this year - even some that I put into the ground. They looked pretty poor when I received them and I'm not sure anything was going to bring them back. (although I bet cutting off some roots didn't help).

Sorry to hear that :(

I think I ordered the same 25 pack of yearlings you did. I paid a half dozen or so forward to another member of the forum from St. Louis. Last I heard 2 of those were still alive. Of the rest, I didn't try to keep them all, but, of the ones I did try to keep, many died :(

But, I still have 4 left! They are in a community grow bag and in the native tree challenge. I need to dig them out and update that thread at some point...

One thing I think helped is I unpacked them and put them in a pail of water for a day or two before I planted them. I think that can really help these reforestation bundles that get bare rooted stuck in a warehouse shipped out in the mail in the dead of winter when they are "dormant". They get thirsty ;)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to hear that :(

I think I ordered the same 25 pack of yearlings you did. I paid a half dozen or so forward to another member of the forum from St. Louis. Last I heard 2 of those were still alive. Of the rest, I didn't try to keep them all, but, of the ones I did try to keep, many died :(

But, I still have 4 left! They are in a community grow bag and in the native tree challenge. I need to dig them out and update that thread at some point...

One thing I think helped is I unpacked them and put them in a pail of water for a day or two before I planted them. I think that can really help these reforestation bundles that get bare rooted stuck in a warehouse shipped out in the mail in the dead of winter when they are "dormant". They get thirsty ;)
Thanks for this tip! I’ll try that out next spring.
I also know that last year I opted to receive mine in the 2nd week of April and I think that was a mistake…not sure if they were extra weak because they had started to wake up prior to shipping or perhaps had been dug up a few weeks earlier and stored cold to prevent them from budding. Neither of those are great situations. A club member who received theirs a few weeks earlier had better survival rates. I’ll try that next spring.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trying again this year! I'm liking how they look in that @penumbra pot.
IMG-6783.jpg
Tying in 1-2 year old bareroot seedlings is tough because there are no substantial roots to tie down to, so I tried this trick that a clubmate shared with me. Basically you wire the basal root flare all the way up the trunk and leave ~5 inches extra on the root side. Do the same thing with a second seedling. Take those extra 5 inch pieces down through some tieholes and twist them together, anchoring them to each other. Here's what the bottom looks like
IMG-6786.jpg

Top Bottom