Sapling division: Leatherback Maple Forest

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
30-something maple seedlings from last year. Mostly trident. But who knows what is included come spring! I just lifted a few seedling trays and emptied them!

Was cleaning up the yard and decided to not develop them as individual trees as I do not have the space. So.. against my earlier thoughts I will try and develop a forest using <1 year old seedlings. I did take basic care on larger trees on the inside, a basic wiring and clustering of trees. And a little surprise which I hope will make a difference in a few years.

No jokes please ;)

1611783120456.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ooohhh. This is basically what I'm doing (1 year-old seedlings), but assembly will come later. I'm growing mine in different pots to try and create as much variation as possible.
I'll be curious to see how that occurs in the same environment.
That looks like a big pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buds?.... leave?

...I bet it has leaves.

:)
Well.. People were getting so stressed over the weather here, that I succumbed and put all budding/growing maples in my small greenhouse. 3 days later, all fresh growth had been munched away by presumable, a mouse. I should just have left them to be frozen overnight.

The pot it outside and waiting for spring. Not much growth there.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well.. People were getting so stressed over the weather here, that I succumbed and put all budding/growing maples in my small greenhouse. 3 days later, all fresh growth had been munched away by presumable, a mouse. I should just have left them to be frozen overnight.

The pot it outside and waiting for spring. Not much growth there.
I’m sorry to hear that, friend.

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
amazing what has become of the cuttings in such a short time. I would never think that the trunk would develop so quickly. Did you use a motor for the video or was it a video that was cropped left and right to get the sweep effect?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
amazing what has become of the cuttings in such a short time. I would never think that the trunk would develop so quickly. Did you use a motor for the video or was it a video that was cropped left and right to get the sweep effect?
Well spotted. It is landscape video and the software does the pull-though. :)

Two and a half growing seasons worth of thickening. Not too bad, indeed.

Top Bottom