Sapling Division: Misfit's Japanese Maple Forest

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So after getting the okay from @Kanorin , I'm throwing my hat in the ring on the forest from sapling contest. These saplings were all volunteers in my backyard from a large Japanese Maple tree. I've been growing some of the larger ones since around 2016. I arranged them in the forest grouping on February 27th with the help of my teacher and fellow REBS member, Ivan Lukrich. Here's the original thread:

0228211322.jpg

I may be adding a few more smaller trees to the composition over the next few years. If you noticed in the other thread, I definitely don't have a lack of seedlings...

Well, for now it's just feed, grow, prune, wire, and repeat for the next six years.

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's an update on this Japanese Maple grove I started last spring. It's coming along nicely and I think will be a nice addition to my collection as it progresses. I snapped this photo a couple weeks ago and it's more leaded out and the shoots have begun to extend. I wanted to post this pic cuz you can see the branch structure that I was able to develop last year better than in its leafed out condition. Any comments and suggestions are welcome as always. 🙂0312221113.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’ve got the trunks position and angles as good as it gets!! Great work!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You’ve got the trunks position and angles as good as it gets!! Great work!
Thanks Hart! Most of the credit goes to my teacher. I did reduce the height on the tree fourth from the left to improve the taper and movement in that tree. I eventually want it just a bit shorter than the second tallest tree. I'm also planning on adding a smaller tree in the front just to the right of the third from the left.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Did some work on my Japanese Maple grove yesterday. It's got a long way to go before it's ready for prime time in 2027 but it's slowly getting there. When you only add about an inch of usable growth a year (at best) it's definitely a marathon not a sprint!

Before work
0107231522a.jpg

After

0108231229.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I added eight small trees to the forest at a workshop with Adam Toth a couple weeks ago. I had only planned on adding like three trees or so, but he thought more were needed. This brings the number from ten to eighteen. It's still an even number. Maybe I need to add one more at some point to make it odd. 🤔

Front
20240311_120942.jpg

Back
20240311_120857.jpg

Top Bottom