Sapling Division: Yamabudoudanshi's thread: J. Larch/Trident Maple forests

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update:

Forest 1: After 3 years of Tokyo summers the larches called it quits.
This year in particular was the perfect storm. It was super hot, there was almost no rainy season to speak of, and the larches were attacked by a fungus that I couldn't get rid of despite my best efforts.
What started as 2 trees gone progressed to 3 more, and before I know it the whole group was toast. Pretty sad for me as it's one of the projects I've been working on the longest. Needless to say I won't be trying them again in this climate. RIP

Forest 2: The tridents on the other hand have been doing fine. I lost one of the original trees to a pervasive root fungus thing, but other than that growth has been fine. I let the trees in the colanders run, as well as the two that germinated last year. Seems a few of the cuttings in the long colander survived the whole summer as well. We are still clearing 30 degrees C nearly every day and the trees are still growing. I plan on repeated last year, but cutting back to another new trunk leader and taking winter cuttings where I can.
Then, this coming spring, I'm planning on assembling the first iteration of the actual forest.
Larches don't like climate change I think! London summers seem too much for them as well now.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess our summers are at least as warm. Key is to keep the pot out of the midday sun when it is warm, and then to ensure water & humidity
Its definitely a struggle if you have a life to get on with, a tree in a small pot and it is around 38 degrees all week 😁 i should have taken more precautions though.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its definitely a struggle if you have a life to get on with, a tree in a small pot and it is around 38 degrees all week 😁 i should have taken more precautions though.
Just put the tree in the shade in a hot week. (Or, do as I, and have critical pieces so low to the ground that weeds reach the rim of the pot mid-summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some pinching of spring growth and a prune to rid unneeded branches and buds. So far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_162526.jpg
    IMG_20240401_162526.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240401_162556.jpg
    IMG_20240401_162556.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom