Sappy stuff from wiring or fungus/insect?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a young AP mikawa yatsabusa that I just wired (and I'm totally new to wiring) a week ago. Today I noticed some white sticky sappy stuff.

I initially thought it could be spider mites because I found 2 (different) trees with spider mites 2 weeks ago and treated them with sevin.

But now I think maybe the wiring and bending caused some disruption to the sap flow and it's coming out of these new leaves that the tree is trying to push? Can that happen?
I don't see any of this at the apex of the tree. The trunk already had some bend to it, but I did enhance the bend by about 15-20 degrees.

Red circles depict the sappy stuff.
Blue circle is a petiole from a leaf that I removed that was just covered with sappy stuff (removed when I thought it might be insect damage to get a better look at the leaf).
IMG-2286.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you've got a spittlebug or two. They are sucking insects and obscure themselves by producing a foamy blob that looks a lot like spit(tle). They can be washed away with a jet of water from your garden hose, but I find it interesting and a bit of fun to put on a glove and grab the foamy blob. Usually the little greenish colored bug is inside, but occasionally it still sitting on the stem. A gentle pinch (not so hard as to damage new leaves/stems) will kill it, just like it will aphids.

Top Bottom