Sapsucker or Sapsucker Killer?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This morning while working on a chokeberry that I’ve been training for about a year I noticed the unmistakable signs of [duh-duh-duuuuuuh!!] honeydew on one of the leaves. So I look immediately above that spot and there’s one of those little whitish critters trying to look inconspicuous. Oh no you don’t, says I, and squished the bastard. I didn’t find any others but will continue my vigilance to be sure! My question is… what was that? It wasn’t the normal type of scale, because the scale bastards (when feeding) don’t move, of course. This guy, on the other hand, kept trying to hide. When he spots you, he dodges ‘round to the other side of the branch, and he’s pretty quick about it. I’ve seen a few of his ilk but this was the first time there was evidence of assault. Was it a mealybug? Are they that fast? It seems to me that they’d be pretty sluggish what with filling their guts with tree sap. Or was it an actual predator of those little sapsuckers? I’ve heard of mealybug killers that look just like them, so I hope I didn’t kill a good guy. Any thoughts? I’m almost certain others have seen this bug… the hiding from you by dodging around the branch is unmistakeable. Here's a pic of my chokeberry that's completely useless, of course, but it's at least something visual! :D

IMG_1033.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leafhopper

Reckon you're right.

As much as I love trying to flick them off, I have never seen them cause any damage whatsoever. I don't consider them a problem worth spending time on. Certainly not honeydewing damage, so you may want to give a closer look.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Next time, think about a description before you eliminate the evidence. You described a bug, of which there are millions. Honeydew means problems, and systemics deal with most. Bayer 3-in-1 or anything like it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This morning while working on a chokeberry that I’ve been training for about a year I noticed the unmistakable signs of [duh-duh-duuuuuuh!!] honeydew on one of the leaves. So I look immediately above that spot and there’s one of those little whitish critters trying to look inconspicuous. Oh no you don’t, says I, and squished the bastard. I didn’t find any others but will continue my vigilance to be sure! My question is… what was that? It wasn’t the normal type of scale, because the scale bastards (when feeding) don’t move, of course. This guy, on the other hand, kept trying to hide. When he spots you, he dodges ‘round to the other side of the branch, and he’s pretty quick about it. I’ve seen a few of his ilk but this was the first time there was evidence of assault. Was it a mealybug? Are they that fast? It seems to me that they’d be pretty sluggish what with filling their guts with tree sap. Or was it an actual predator of those little sapsuckers? I’ve heard of mealybug killers that look just like them, so I hope I didn’t kill a good guy. Any thoughts? I’m almost certain others have seen this bug… the hiding from you by dodging around the branch is unmistakeable. Here's a pic of my chokeberry that's completely useless, of course, but it's at least something visual! :D

View attachment 384110
The red headed sapsucker is the worst, they leave tell tale little drilled holes in the bark. They also run around the tree when they see you coming. Hang shiny strips of foil on the branches to deter them. Or stand guard with a hose, they are averse to showers.😎

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wooly aphids can move relatively quickly in comparison to mealybug.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Was able to redeem myself by capturing numerous pics and vids of this one. I'd normally ignore the little bastard but it's (I think) laying eggs and (allegedly) involved in some kind of sap extraction activity. Def not a mealybug. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, dammit. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, right? You wanted proof? I got you proof. Now what the hell are these?? Anyone??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep. Nailed it. I was never aware of treehoppers but I see now that they do feed on trees and pierce the bark to lay eggs, etc. It's not clear if they're a huge threat (like aphids, mites, etc.) but I'm pretty sure I don't want them on my bonsai. Thank you!

Top Bottom