Sargens Juniper design help

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have had this juniper for two years and I am stuck on where to go with it. I am hoping someone can give me some ideas?

My thoughts are :
Jin bottom large branch in front view.
Have one or two pads on the top and top right.

Front View
juniper1-1_zps368f36f6.jpg

Other Views
Jun2013019_zps4c26f5c4.jpg

juniper1-2_zps123ca835.jpg

Jun2013017_zps8e3be222.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a nice little tree with good potential. Your plan to jin the bottom branch sounds good. One thing, you have some nice main branches. However, the secondary branches have not formed yet. Notice they are mostly green and still young. You cannot cut or pinch these. You will need to let this tree completely grow out. Revert to a bush so to speak. Let it grow freely for 1 year. The only thing you should do is prune unwanted growth in the crevaces and underneath branches. Also, you can prune if sections start to get really thick so light and air can penetrate. However, I don't think this will be too much of an issue for the first year. Next year, you can do some styling. Wire the branches down a bit and wire the apex a bit forward.

With junipers, this "letting it grow out" phase is extremely important and crucial to a good bonsai design and also the health of the tree.:D

Good luck.

Rob

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but please remove that wire.

You should try to make your wiring more pleasing to the eye while it is on your tree and I can't tell for sure from the pic, but I am not sure if that is a good type of wire for bonsai... Find some good bonsai wire, use the correct gauges for the branches you are wiring, and only use the guide wire technique to assist you when shaping a branch. The majority of your wiring should be done along the length of the branch so you can bend and twist it as needed, not just pull it down.

I am not bashing you in any way, Lord knows I have done some ugly wire jobs in my day, just one bit of friendly advice. That tree has some real potential and it is clear you have cared for it well if it is thriving like this after a couple years of working on it. I only see a few branches that need to be allowed to grow out there, you can work on your styling on most of the tree I'd say, but it is hard tot ell from the pic.

Good luck!

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
:D
That wire is electric fence wire for cattle.... Not correct huh ? HAHA:eek:

I know its ugly I was just using it to pull branches while I was looking at the design. I didnt have my tree box out with me with the copper wire but had some electric fence cuttings in my pocket.

the wire is no longer on the tree ! thanks for the post it got me to laugh a little.

Since the posting the tree has put on some new growth. I am removing the growth from the trunk to branch areas.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Keep everyone posted on this tree. Sargent Juniper the species I have found very difficult to work on but I don't want to prejudice you with my experience.

Top Bottom