Sargenti Cypress ala Redwood

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Resized_20200403_191810.jpegHere's my biggest bonsai. This is a Sargenti Cypress I'm styling as a Gaint Redwood. She stands four feet tall and three and a half feet wide. This is right after repotting. There's a small bonus White Oak growing on the backside that sprouted up while the tree was in the grow box.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that healthy foliage?

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that healthy foliage?

Sorce
Yes, it's just the lighting under the deck. It's dark and I had to brighten the pic so you could see the tree. Once I move it back out you'll be able to see the color better. It's quite green.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Awesome tree, Rick. Was this collected from one of the areas in California where it grows in elfin/pygmy forests? I could totally see Elrond hanging out under yon boughs. I just started some from seed. They’ll never get like that one for sure, LOL.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little backstory on this tree. I bought this at a nursery. It was one of those topiary landscape ornaments in the shape of a rooster, six feet tall. The whole head had died and was completely brown. They were loading it into a pickup to haul it away to wherever they take the dead and dying. I pulled in along side and with an bit of negotiations it went into my pickup instead. A $500 headless rooster for $75. All I saw were the big trunks!
I first untied over thirty bindings that held the branches and removed many at that time. At the same time I reduced the roots from a two foot tall container of tangled mass to a 2'×2'×8" cedar box. It grew well for seven years in turface MVP and pumice. I just repotted into 1/8"-1/4" pumice which is a bit larger granules.
I let it bush out last season to perk it up a little anticipating repotting this spring, so it looks pretty shaggy in the pic. That's alot of juvenile foilage that would usually get trimmed throughout the growing season. There's some interior die back consequently, but nothing serious. There's a third trunk in the back that is standing deadwood and a shari the length of the big trunk to be developed. Had hoped to get this to a club meeting for some hands on, but apparently we're not doing that anymore. Lol At least not this summer.

Top Bottom