Sargents growing too fast

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like I'm going to be starting a thread on each of my trees that are worth mentioning.
Here's another, I don't have the date from when I purchased the 1g nursery stock but probably 10 yrs ago or so.

It stands wider than tall at 32 x 36" and staked to a mop handle

full

full

I like the plant. Problem is it was growing fast in the bonsai pot and not putting on girth really.
So I planted it in the ground a year ago or less and you guessed it, it grows foliage even faster
but is putting on the girth I was looking for.

Next problem, it needs to remain staked in the ground another year for the trunk and roots
to fix on the current placement. Last Summer-Fall I staked the tree on the left which lifts the roots on the right.
Branches on the right guy wired down to also compensate for the staking on the left to upright the trunk.
Therefore it will remain in ground to fix.

What now? I had a difficult time keeping up with the foliage in pot. It just grows awful fast and I am slow.
I need to begin refining again, but how much?
To get the girth it needs to be free but I also need some more direction on what to do in the meantime.
Its coming into the desired girth, and by this time next year I will be ready to lift the tree, so now what?
I've never had such an aggressively growing juniper before.

Oh, and also, Cutting back to back buds. I could use some pointers there. Seems like the rest of the tree is so
aggressive that I need a different gear so to speak than with procumbens. It's not coming overly natural for me
with this to prune it properly. Just step up my growth control where refining and allow sacrifice as usual?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh NOooo! Sorry to hear. So far knock on heartwood I've not had that problem
even though there's a deer tree across the street on the side of the road, Persimmon.
They seem to go around my yard so far.
Lucky you. I run out in the yard, snorting and stomping. I hope they teach their children to stay away from Mr. McGregor's garden.

Top Bottom