Saskatoon Berry - Anyone Tried Them?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone knows if this species do well on airlayering?
If they do i want to airlayer mine to get a decent flair starting on it cus the roots it has now are unworkable lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe that the answer is yes. Cuttings and air layers are possible. My first low tech attempt at cuttings failed 100%, took about 25 in middle summer. None took.

Dirr lists cuttings, by extension, air layers should work.

Root cuttings should have some success also.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back to Saskatoons: I had to transplant my ugly little beast beacause it was in a planter my wife had designated for vegetables. It was slow and I was a bit worried, but the leaves and flowers are coming in now. Slight scratching of the surface also reveals some fine root growth. IMG_5351.JPGIMG_5353.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Tycoss
I'm glad to see this wonderfully ugly beast again. Glad to know it's still with the living. The more I think about that rough, ragged bark, the more I'm convinced that this is a particularly ancient Amelanchier. Have you been able to get a good estimate of it's age?

Keep us updated as to how this tree develops, I'd love to see it at a show sometime in the future.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tycoss
I'm glad to see this wonderfully ugly beast again. Glad to know it's still with the living. The more I think about that rough, ragged bark, the more I'm convinced that this is a particularly ancient Amelanchier. Have you been able to get a good estimate of it's age?

Keep us updated as to how this tree develops, I'd love to see it at a show sometime in the future.
I'm not at all sure how old it is, but you're right, very few amelanchier of any size have bark like this.
This tree has inverse taper, ugly ass surface roots They were crawling over the rocks it was collected from, and a lot of deadwood for a deciduous tree. It would take a rather "open minded" show to accept it, even with work.

Because it was collected from a rocky slope, this tree has branches that droop below the surface roots on three sides and then arch back up, something I would like to further emphasize as it grows. The bark, deadwood and fine twigging on such a small tree I find very appealing. If. If bonsai is about portraying size and age in a small plant, this one manages to do it without following a lot of rules. I like it and am glad you appreciate it too.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my amelanchier as it is now. It had some of it’s deadwood and all the dead/weak twigs removed. I tried to leave only the most interesting deadwood, and plan on shortening the branches later this year. I’ll have to be careful, as I don’t want the branches to die back all the way to the trunk.FFC3D60C-7A67-4948-B16F-D956FF7E88BC.jpeg98E40450-CF51-4191-9197-6F04C1C12665.jpeg
3CC2F194-3974-4D4E-9AEB-83B29456C971.jpeg
6E8A4D7C-BC44-45DE-94F7-782BCC3168F8.jpeg
Any styling or care advice would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom