satsuki 'Ai No Hikari'

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is an imported satsuki I picked up 2 winters ago. It had been recently bare rooted so last year, it was only fed and watered. This spring I removed approximately 50% of the foliage and wired out the main branches. After flowering, I'll work on the smaller branching. Enjoy.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0669.1.jpg
    DSCF0669.1.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 157

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave is it from NEBGs, I have one (not as sbstantial) probably around the same time too. Last year I had 5 distinct color differances, supposedly with these less color variety is better, but I'm not sure I'd agree to that. But that is a nice sat. to play with.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bill, yes, it is from NEBG (almost all my nice trees are from there). Are trees must have come through customs together. You can't tell from the pic but there are atleast 3-4 different colored flowers on the tree right now...pretty cool.

Dave

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 , do you still have this one? Maybe another thread for it?
I wish... this one went belly up probably 6-7 years ago. I came to GA with 5 imported Satsuki, thinking they would thrive here. Within 4 years of arriving, I lost 3 to what I'm assuming was a root pathogen as branches died from the base up into the canopy, then lost a 4th in a similar way 2 years ago. The fifth one is planted in my yard as a last ditch effort to save it and the drought hasn't done it any favors, unfortunately.

Top Bottom