Satsuki Azalea ‘Kinsai’

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got this azalea in May 2017, just at the end of blooming. Since Kinsai is a hybrid cultivar, it’s risky to buy them out of bloom. Their flowers can permanently revert from the desired bright-red, spider-like petals to the paler pink fuller petals. Once the fuller petals take over, that’s it. It’s only possible to see this when the tree is in bloom.

Here is a starter shot of the tree in full bloom right now. I have done no significant work on the tree as yet, other than some cleaning out soil and dead roots in the cage of exposed roots...so this is pretty much as-imported.
3605FFE8-63DA-408B-971C-CC5118528306.jpeg
A3D69FE3-DC7F-43D2-8E69-84DA01D3CB1B.jpeg
As received:
6B9B840D-7B24-44AC-A09B-B612EA9E8049.jpeg
After our club’s spring show, it will begin some training.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve never been crazy about exposed root trees but this is a really appealing tree. The exposed roots look really symmetrical all around, The first right branch looks perfect the way it drops down and out and the best part is those unique flowers. Very special tree Brian.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got this azalea in May 2017, just at the end of blooming. Since Kinsai is a hybrid cultivar, it’s risky to buy them out of bloom. Their flowers can permanently revert from the desired bright-red, spider-like petals to the paler pink fuller petals. Once the fuller petals take over, that’s it. It’s only possible to see this when the tree is in bloom.

Here is a starter shot of the tree in full bloom right now. I have done no significant work on the tree as yet, other than some cleaning out soil and dead roots in the cage of exposed roots...so this is pretty much as-imported.

As received:

After our club’s spring show, it will begin some training.
Hi Brian,
That is a lovely tree. Can you expound upon the danger of hybrid cultivars reverting back? Can that occur on existing growth that has displayed the desired flowers?
Paul

Top Bottom