Satsuki Azalea ‘Kinsai’

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Other than bloom reversion, is Kinsai more difficult than Kozan varieties?
I don’t think it takes any more care than the other Satsuki cultivars. It is a dense grower, and I just finished hacking it back pretty hard. I have no reason to think it won’t be full again in 6 weeks?.
A20D3280-5028-4625-B4F0-C051BC10F805.jpegF5DC7184-6362-43B9-925E-5A787E7430C3.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice!I always liked these exposed root azaleas.Brussells has tons of them and I wonder why they do not sell out.
To cold in my area I think.My trees take freezes.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree filled in nicely and has a great shape! and nice healthy leaf color as well.

Not sure if this makes sense but here it is. Did you ask to see the tree in bloom prior to purchase to confirm the distribution of thin petaled flowers? Was there any way to tell before purchase if you would be getting a tree with the wider petals when it bloomed? I've been passively looking at adding a large satsuki to the garden and am intrigued by multi-color flowering species. But if the tree isn't in flower I don't see how there is a way to tell if a certain color is dominating the tree, right?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like exposed roots but normally not so much the extreme examples like this. But i do love this tree. I think what really makes it for me is how the roots to foliage ratio is just right. Love it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A google search did not turn any of these up for sale. Does anyone know where I can find this variety of azalea? I love everything about these flowers.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A google search did not turn any of these up for sale. Does anyone know where I can find this variety of azalea? I love everything about these flowers.

Brussels has them I think. or perhaps it's Matt Smith. There is one on ebay for sale by Matt.

Or you can check with

Dave Kreutz may have some but I tried reaching out to him multiple times with no responses.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brussels has them I think. or perhaps it's Matt Smith. There is one on ebay for sale by Matt.

Or you can check with

Dave Kreutz may have some but I tried reaching out to him multiple times with no responses.
Wow! Yeah thanks for that. I am not looking to spend $1,000 or more for a finished exposed root bonsai. I am looking for a starter plant or even a rooted cutting to style in another way, probably semi cascade.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tree filled in nicely and has a great shape! and nice healthy leaf color as well.

Not sure if this makes sense but here it is. Did you ask to see the tree in bloom prior to purchase to confirm the distribution of thin petaled flowers? Was there any way to tell before purchase if you would be getting a tree with the wider petals when it bloomed? I've been passively looking at adding a large satsuki to the garden and am intrigued by multi-color flowering species. But if the tree isn't in flower I don't see how there is a way to tell if a certain color is dominating the tree, right?
Thanks, yes I did see it with some blooms before I got it. Fewer than I wanted, but it turned out to be ok. I have been watching for some bloom-shape indication in the vegetative growth during the year, but haven’t found any yet.

As for petal color identification, BT 47 has a pretty good article on identifying and dealing with varying flower petals. Here is one page:
14322B1D-A336-463E-8075-6E7760BC036D.jpeg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What’s up full-size photo bombs? @BunjaeKorea 😱😜
Nice Kinsai. They’re definitely hard to find.
Lol sorry my bad. I was using my phone and well I am technologically challenged.
Wanted to strengthen it up before a do a big chop....but now I am moving back to Australia and selling all my trees anyway.....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gorgeous. I think I enjoy the few fall blooms even more than the big spring show. Unexpected beauty is the best!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Though normally mot a fan of this style, I find this one to be very attractive. These are so bloody expensive to buy that it makes one wonder how long it takes to accomplish.

Top Bottom