Satsuki Azalea ‘Kinsai’

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Blooming soon...first buds are showing. This thing bloomed almost all year last year. It was cool, but a little concerning.
View attachment 368018
Nice!

The cuttings that you gave me have a few flowers on them. I have several satsukis, wakaebisu and momo no haru, that bloom all summer too. Doesn't seem to hurt them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This bonsai inspired me so much in every way that I finally bought a kinsai. I should have it next week. I am going to have to hold it in my hands first and then decide if it gos in the ground as a stock plant or goes in a training pot straightaway.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This bonsai inspired me so much in every way that I finally bought a kinsai. I should have it next week. I am going to have to hold it in my hands first and then decide if it gos in the ground as a stock plant or goes in a training pot straightaway.
Nice! They’re tough to find, be sure to post yours when you get it. Hopefully you got pix of it in bloom when you bought it, so you know it has those characteristic deep red, narrow flower petals. Not all Kinsai have or keep those traits, unfortunately, and you just don’t know unless it’s blooming.

I have had very limited success with cuttings; I have 2 weak survivors from my 2019 attempt. I brought mine in this AM for a haircut, and I think I’ll try another batch. Maybe by this time next year, I’ll have a few more survivors...won’t know for a while (hint hint to seekers😉).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! They’re tough to find, be sure to post yours when you get it. Hopefully you got pix of it in bloom when you bought it, so you know it has those characteristic deep red, narrow flower petals. Not all Kinsai have or keep those traits, unfortunately, and you just don’t know unless it’s blooming.

I have had very limited success with cuttings; I have 2 weak survivors from my 2019 attempt. I brought mine in this AM for a haircut, and I think I’ll try another batch. Maybe by this time next year, I’ll have a few more survivors...won’t know for a while (hint hint to seekers😉).
I actually found it on eBay and it shows the exact plant in full flower. I just googled kinsai and it came up. Seller only had one for sale. I will post it when I get it and decide what to do then, but I am leaning towards ground laying it (in ground or large grow box) because it has a large lower branch, nearly a double trunk, that would lend itself to this technique very well.
1621340781546.png

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I actually found it on eBay and it shows the exact plant in full flower. I just googled kinsai and it came up. Seller only had one for sale. I will post it when I get it and decide what to do then, but I am leaning towards ground laying it (in ground or large grow box) because it has a large lower branch, nearly a double trunk, that would lend itself to this technique very well.
View attachment 375543
Nice red bark on that one too, enjoy. It’s my favorite Satsuki cultivar by a long shot.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s my favorite Satsuki cultivar by a long shot.
I understand why. It is not a typical azalea. Even for a satsuki it is quite different. The strap like flowers are much better at creating the illusion of an old tree than others.

Top Bottom