Satsuki Azalea bonsai

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey guys can anyone help me? I received a satsuki bonsai for v.day and I’m new to them.. it has begun to bloom but now I see one of my flowers are turning yellow at the tip. I don’t know y can anyone give me some insight? At first the leaves where having brown spots and falling off and It looked really bare but new leaves are blooming can anyone help me plz? Am I doing anything wrong I know nothing but what I’ve read on google, but there are a lot of different things it’s says to do

Attachments

• B49C5A5E-89B5-4051-935E-85540C63EA6B.jpeg
    B49C5A5E-89B5-4051-935E-85540C63EA6B.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 07637305-49D8-4B6B-BE4B-D5C489A6D3B0.jpeg
    07637305-49D8-4B6B-BE4B-D5C489A6D3B0.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 63
  • D4DF94C8-AA1F-4CDF-89FB-A250B4E14DA5.jpeg
    D4DF94C8-AA1F-4CDF-89FB-A250B4E14DA5.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 62

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whare are you located? and is it kept indoors?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was more than likely greenhouse grown and I am sure its not in a greenhouse now. It is important to know where you live because many azaleas are more subtropical and many are temperate. Does it have a tag naming the cultivar? It looks like a greenhouse variety.

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
This was more than likely greenhouse grown and I am sure its not in a greenhouse now. It is important to know where you live because many azaleas are more subtropical and many are temperate. Does it have a tag naming the cultivar? It looks like a greenhouse variety.
I think it must be he got it from 1800 flowers but I don’t kno the cultivar

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't put it in full sun outside. Especially if you continue to go in and out.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it is a Satsuki, they are ok if the temperature in your area doesn't stay below 35-40 degrees for more than a week or two at a time.
They need the outdoors if you want it to live.
It looks to be greenhouse grown and not allowed to go through a necessary dormancy. They originate in Japan, but have been propagated here long enough to be a little more cold hardy.
It needs to take a nap. Try and find an unheated garage, crawlspace or cold space out of the wind. Water it every few weeks. Get outside when the temps are gonna stay above 45- 50. Out of the sun. Mornings ok.
It's gonna look a little weak, but it will recover with luck. Probably won't bloom this year.
There should be a few others that be chiming in soon that know more that me, but I have a couple.

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
If it is a Satsuki, they are ok if the temperature in your area doesn't stay below 35-40 degrees for more than a week or two at a time.
It looks to be greenhouse grown and not allowed to go through a necessary dormancy. They originate in Japan, but have been propagated here long enough to be a little more cold hardy.
It needs to take a nap. Try and find an unheated garage, crawlspace or cold space out of the wind. Water it every few weeks. Get outside when the temps are gonna stay above 45- 50. Out of the sun. Mornings ok.
It's gonna look a little weak, but it will recover with luck. Probably won't bloom this year.
There should be a few others that be chiming in soon that know more that me, but I have a couple.
Ok but For my satsuki is it’s says I cannot let it dry all the way out ,so I water it once a week and it seems to be blooming really well. They say the temperature should be no lower then 35-50 ,that’s what I’m saying when I ready up on it it says different things. I keep it in my room and on nice days I put it outside not directly in the sun for a couple of hours

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Are you certain it is a satsuki? Blooming this time of year, it might be a karume, which bloom about 3 months before satsuki. If it is from a florist it could be forced in a greenhouse too, but it’d probably be easier for them to just cultivate the earlier blooming variety.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you certain it is a satsuki? Blooming this time of year, it might be a karume
You know, I just looked well at the pictures and the flowering habit does have much more the look of a karume. But I know it is a hothouse azalea so who the hell really knows what it is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know, I just looked well at the pictures and the flowering habit does have much more the look of a karume. But I know it is a hothouse azalea so who the hell really knows what it is.
I question whether or not it is Satsuki, too. They usually have smaller parts: leaves and flowers. The instruction to avoid lower temps indicate semi-tropical, too. The genus has been monkey'd with for too many years all over the world, -crossing this and that, back and forth, to identify something without a DNA test.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's blooming NOW. You can't expect to push it back into dormancy at this point.

@Athenagilees I think you need to make sure it gets the sun when the temps are warm enough and hopefully limp it into summer. At that point it'll need good sunlight for part of the day. Outside. Watch for leaf disease and you can spray these with insecticide, if the leaves curl then you've got leaf miner. Please put your location in your profile so we don't have to keep asking you where you are, and can give you good advice.

@sorce what is up with you lately?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put it outside and leave it there. It WILL die inside. You CANNOT induce dormancy at this point. Hell, it's spring for crying out loud.

Bring it in ONLY when a frost/freeze is predicted--which could be this weekend. Once that danger has passed back outside 24/7. also, the more you try to "care" for it by bringing it inside and out, fuzting around with treatments, etc., the worse things will get. The brown spots are most likely from a root issue of some sort. Soil is probably bad. Looks like it stays soggy. That's a bad thing, especially inside.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what is up with you lately

If I am to assume this was asked because of a human thing, it's not me that has changed, it is the world, and everyone's view of it, which makes it that much harder to deal with my truth.

If this is a bonsai website, that cares about the health and well being of trees.....

I feel my opinion is 93% correct if it doesn't see that greenhouse...like...atmosphere.

If the OP pursues the mission with that percentage lower, the percentage actually goes up.

We are treating this like a boo boo.
It needs the ER urgently.

Sorce

Top Bottom