Satsuki Azalea cuttings

Kalebh

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice. About 3-4 weeks ago I took some Satsuki Azalea cuttings. I used the rooting gel and planted them deep in the potting soil I had another azalea in. I also placed the pot in a large plastic bag in a shady spot in my home. They're in a pot together and I was hoping to repot them in solo pots once they have put out strong roots. This is my first time attempting azalea cuttings. All info would be appreciated.👍 Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Kalebh

Seedling
Reaction score
What are you asking?
I guess I'm asking should I check them for roots after another month then repot. Or should I wait for several months or a year? I just don't want them to grow together.

Ohmy222

Mame
Reaction score
Leave until you see new growth consistently. They won’t be hard to separate. At least they won’t die from separating. They are easy to root but will fool you as they can stay green looking and even throw a couple of leaves without yet rooting

Kalebh

Seedling
Reaction score
Leave until you see new growth consistently. They won’t be hard to separate. At least they won’t die from separating. They are easy to root but will fool you as they can stay green looking and even throw a couple of leaves without yet rooting
Ok that's great info, so do you think they will be ready to separate by fall August, September time frame?

Shibui

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually do azalea cuttings late summer or autumn. They only take a month or so to get roots at that time. Azalea roots are very fine and short so they will not show up at the drain holes like other plants which can make it harder to tell when they are ready. If in doubt leave them longer. They are not difficult to separate even if the roots are entwined. Azalea will survive transplant with very few roots so it does not matter if a few break when you pot up.
The bag is a great strategy but don't keep them too shady. The leaves need some good light to make the food that will make new roots.

keri-wms

Mame
Reaction score
I found they root easily but then get root rot from soil being too wet VERY easily! :/

Kalebh

Seedling
Reaction score
I usually do azalea cuttings late summer or autumn. They only take a month or so to get roots at that time. Azalea roots are very fine and short so they will not show up at the drain holes like other plants which can make it harder to tell when they are ready. If in doubt leave them longer. They are not difficult to separate even if the roots are entwined. Azalea will survive transplant with very few roots so it does not matter if a few break when you pot up.
The bag is a great strategy but don't keep them too shady. The leaves need some good light to make the food that will make new roots.
So how long would you leave them in the container they are in? Until New growth or late summer early fall?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So how long would you leave them in the container they are in? Until New growth or late summer early fall?
I leave them together for at least the whole year. If you struck them this year, I’d separate and repot them in Spring of 2021.

Shibui

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually pot up quicker than that but it all depends on how well they grow. Your climate could be way different from here. Leaving them to grow for a year is probably safer.