Satsuki Azalea for bonsai newbie? ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi! I am really looking to purchase another bonsai. I have a Fukien tea that is 6 years old and a few delonix seedlings. I now have my eye on a beautiful 8 year old Satsuki Azalea. What are your thoughts on this bonsai for beginners? Thank you!

Mellos

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@BonsaiQueen Just curious, what does a tree like that go for? Where should I look for one like that?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always question when one's add an age to a tree. I guess age doesn't bother me...as long as it has some character.

Azalea don't like to dry out...some are hardier than others. Learn prior to purchase the cold hardiness. I have one that needs dormancy but can't go below 30F. I assumed it was as cold hardy as my first one was. Fortunately my controlled cold greenhouse I don't have an issue. That would be my biggest bit of advice to anyone. I've found them easy to raise.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always question when one's add an age to a tree. I guess age doesn't bother me...as long as it has some character.

Azalea don't like to dry out...some are hardier than others. Learn prior to purchase the cold hardiness. I have one that needs dormancy but can't go below 30F. I assumed it was as cold hardy as my first one was. Fortunately my controlled cold greenhouse I don't have an issue. That would be my biggest bit of advice to anyone. I've found them easy to raise.
Yeah, I add age to give as much information as possible. Right now, because I’m new, I’m not sure which details matter, so I just share everything! ☺️

Thanks so much for the tip! I will keep this in mind if I do decide to purchase! ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I guess my next question would be, would you all advise me to wait until it’s in the 60’s consistently, before purchasing one to bring home? Right now the weather bounces between mid 40’s, upper 50’s and low 60’s.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I guess my next question would be, would you all advise me to wait until it’s in the 60’s consistently, before purchasing one to bring home? Right now the weather bounces between mid 40’s, upper 50’s and low 60’s.
IMHO, azaleas are much more cold hardy and can survive lows below 0F, but to do so they must have been conditioned by exposure to deepening cold like characteristic of 'normal' fall weather; a bit below freezing then warmed up and to colder temperatures a couple of wees later. Zone 8a is okay for just about every variety.

So, were you to buy one now from someone in a warm zone that doesn't freeze you might have to condition your azalea before putting it outside to stay. Of course, it might get exposed to freezing cold in the plane/truck ride to you. Most etail nurseries I know will delay shipping until it can safely occur.

But, days and nights above freezing are EZPZ. Zone 8 is EZPZ.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
IMHO, azaleas are much more cold hardy and can survive lows below 0F, but to do so they must have been conditioned by exposure to deepening cold like characteristic of 'normal' fall weather; a bit below freezing then warmed up and to colder temperatures a couple of wees later. Zone 8a is okay for just about every variety.

So, were you to buy one now from someone in a warm zone that doesn't freeze you might have to condition your azalea before putting it outside to stay. Of course, it might get exposed to freezing cold in the plane/truck ride to you. Most etail nurseries I know will delay shipping until it can safely occur.

But, days and nights above freezing are EZPZ. Zone 8 is EZPZ.
Great, thank you!!! ? ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You will be OK in TN getting it now. Do you know what flavor it is? Do you have any pictures?
Awesome, thank you!!!☺️

It will be either the Satzuki Azalea or the Satzuki Azalea “Kazan”. ?

Attachments

• 4ECEDD45-17D7-4018-8A47-9A89AAE50109.jpeg
    4ECEDD45-17D7-4018-8A47-9A89AAE50109.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 14
  • CDB7D80F-3EA6-4993-83DC-E99897652530.jpeg
    CDB7D80F-3EA6-4993-83DC-E99897652530.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Head over to Brussels Bonsai and take a walk through, if you haven't already. It's something to behold.
Yes, it is!!! I’ve been there twice. I brought my 7 year old daughter and my 12 month old the first visit. The 7 yr old and I were just in absolute awe!!!

I’ve gone back once myself without the kids and still have not walked the whole nursery. I’m literally about to walk out the door and head there now to get an azalea. I’m so excited!! I love Brussel’s nursery!☺️

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Awesome, thank you!!!☺️

It will be either the Satzuki Azalea or the Satzuki Azalea “Kazan”. ?

Those are pretty, but be careful and don't pay too much, they are not 8 years old, they are probably 3 years at the most.

John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those are pretty, but be careful and don't pay too much, they are not 8 years old, they are probably 3 years at the most.

John
Thank you! I payed $69 for it with a gift certificate that I had. It actually looks bigger in person to me, than it does in the photo. It hasn’t bloomed yet and I have it outside. Will snap a photo and share to thread next time I head outside! ? ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@BonsaiQueen Welcome! Nice to see another Memphian!
Have you checked out our local bonsai club? They are an amazing group.
Thank you and hello, ? ?? my fellow Memphian!!! ☺️ Yes, the next meeting is on the 26th right? It will be my first one to attend! I’m so looking forward to it!! ?

Top Bottom