Satsuki Azalea for grafting question.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What Satsuki Azalea can you recommend for this (thread) grafting application?
- Recipient is a George L Tabor Azalea which is an Indica.
- My location is Austin, Texas zone 8b

Main priority is a plant that can take/tolerate our summer heat (up to 115*F in shade) and mild winter. I can keep the tree in a semi-shaded location with only direct sun in the morning.

I like the smallest leaf possible w/ no preference to flower color. Small flower is preferred if possible but not high in priority.

Any lead is appreciated. Thank you.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Interesting. I have never heard of grafting satsuki on non satsuki azalea. Never seen it in books or magazine either.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see if this works. As long as your doing it try to graft different colors to different branches. It will make a much more interesting and valuable tree.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
As long as your doing it try to graft different colors to different branches. It will make a much more interesting and valuable tree.

That's doubtful...there are already dozens of varieties with different blooms on the same branch that are natural...another consideration is the foliage...different foliage on every branch? Satsuki foliage can be similar but generally every variety has foliage that is unique to the cultivar.

Dario...Satsuki are typically known for med size leaves and med to large blooms. Kusianum and a few of the Kurumes are more known for small leaves and flowers...both varieties do well here but we are not quite as hot as you and probably have a little more winter. There is a nice hybrid...I think satsuki(late bloomer) x kusianum(sp - very early bloomer) named kakuo or kakou that has both the small leaves and small flowers and blooms mid season that might be a good choice for your experiment...if you can find it?? Bill V. imported some older ones about 4 years ago...very nice...grown in the ground for 20+years...tiny foliage and flowers between dime and nickel size....most satsuki have at least a 2" flower and many can be 4".

I can't recall of ever hearing of anyone grafting azaleas...too easy to grow from cuttings and layers. I can see the temptation though if you have a large trunk with undesirable foliage or blooms.

John

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's doubtful...there are already dozens of varieties with different blooms on the same branch that are natural...another consideration is the foliage...different foliage on every branch? Satsuki foliage can be similar but generally every variety has foliage that is unique to the cultivar.

Dario...Satsuki are typically known for med size leaves and med to large blooms. Kusianum and a few of the Kurumes are more known for small leaves and flowers...both varieties do well here but we are not quite as hot as you and probably have a little more winter. There is a nice hybrid...I think satsuki(late bloomer) x kusianum(sp - very early bloomer) named kakuo or kakou that has both the small leaves and small flowers and blooms mid season that might be a good choice for your experiment...if you can find it?? Bill V. imported some older ones about 4 years ago...very nice...grown in the ground for 20+years...tiny foliage and flowers between dime and nickel size....most satsuki have at least a 2" flower and many can be 4".

I can't recall of ever hearing of anyone grafting azaleas...too easy to grow from cuttings and layers. I can see the temptation though if you have a large trunk with undesirable foliage or blooms.

John
Thanks John.

I collected a nice trunk George L Tabor that I think will benefit having much smaller foliage and flower if possible.

I will check with Bill and see if he has one and if it is suited for zone 8b.

Thanks for the lead! :)

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
http://youtu.be/ffGbrXb6VR4
This guy thread grafting on a old specimen azalea.

I placed 7 grafts on my azalea with use of different age of scions, only 2 looked promising last time I checked will check tomorrow may post a pic.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
http://youtu.be/ffGbrXb6VR4
This guy thread grafting on a old specimen azalea.

I placed 7 grafts on my azalea with use of different age of scions, only 2 looked promising last time I checked will check tomorrow may post a pic.
Thanks, I remember watching that video more than a year ago and reading similar (if not the same) article in a bonsai magazine. That is why I am considering this project.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Poink,

Julian Adams should have small kokuo from cuttings. Try Adams Bonsai, but may have to grow them out for a year to get enough material to work with.

Regards,
Martin

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Poink,

Julian Adams should have small kokuo from cuttings. Try Adams Bonsai, but may have to grow them out for a year to get enough material to work with.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks Martin! I checked this and seems different from what John described (big flowers and leaves). http://bonsaispecials.nl/Kokuo.html

BTW, Please let me know if what you are referring to is not as linked. Thank you.

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Poink,

Sorry, I misspelled Kakuo. Must have been too amped up waiting for the Panthers to begin beating the Patriots (Patriot Fans - please do not whine about pass interference) to check my spelling.

From Adams Bonsai Website "AZALEA, Kakuo rooted cuttings: A terrific variety for bonsai, kakuo is a cross between a stsuki and a kusianum. The result is a plant with small green leaves and beautiful small blooms in light pink with darker red markings. in the interior. Maintains a good number of leaves over winter. A fast grower that quickly develops into fine small bonsai. The small blooms are in perfect proportiion for smaller bonsai. Hardy. $4 each "

Regards,
Martin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Poink,

Sorry, I misspelled Kakuo. Must have been too amped up waiting for the Panthers to begin beating the Patriots (Patriot Fans - please do not whine about pass interference) to check my spelling.

Dude, I resemble that remark. It WAS pass interference...but the ball wasn't catchable by the interfered player...which probably means it wasn't:eek:. Whatever, good game and huge win for the Panthers.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
John/Martin

Thanks! I contacted them and asked if Kakuo can thrive in our climate (heat and lack of cold).

Top Bottom