Satsuki Azalea from a nursery stock- what are the steps?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up this Satsuki from a local nursery. What are the steps to turn this into a bonsai? Do some pruning and root cutting, put it back in the same pot for another year or two?

Attachments

• CC18A396-EC73-4D91-A52A-F6BBE8A513E7.jpeg
    CC18A396-EC73-4D91-A52A-F6BBE8A513E7.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 77

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends how big youre aiming for

Bigger ones are fieldgrown in Kanuma soil

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The first thing I usually do with any tree, if it is the right time for it, is repot because if it cant withstand the repot, it will never make a bonsai. You could repot it into a training container and prune of some of the branches you know arent going to be part of the final design then wait until next year and prune a few more.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends how big youre aiming for

Bigger ones are fieldgrown in Kanuma soil
Field growing is not an option for me right now but I can report in the same container or size up.
what’s the best time of year to prove them? Is it too late?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The first thing I usually do with any tree, if it is the right time for it, is repot because if it cant withstand the repot, it will never make a bonsai. You could repot it into a training container and prune of some of the branches you know arent going to be part of the final design then wait until next year and prune a few more.
Yup that was my second question. Is April too late to prune them? Should I move it to a shallow training pot or keep it in the same container?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup that was my second question. Is April too late to prune them? Should I move it to a shallow training pot or keep it in the same container?

April is not too late to prune then and yes I would repot it into a training pot which means a pot that is shallow and bonsai shaped but not as small as what its final pot will be. Ive used bulb pans which are shallower than the usual nursery pots if I didnt have an appropriate sized or shaped training pot. Getting it to the right sized pot is best done in stages, not all at once.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am not sure if your azalea is a good bonsai candidate without seeing the trunk. Having said that, as stated by Paradox, I would repot it in a wider and shallower container. Have you taken it out of the container to inspect the roots and soil? Typically in the U.S. they will be very root bound and planted in mostly peat and thus are in need of an immediate repot. The next step will be to examine the trunk(s) and determine a styling plan. I advise only selective pruning when you do the initial repot. Let the plant establish a root ball first.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not sure if your azalea is a good bonsai candidate without seeing the trunk. Having said that, as stated by Paradox, I would repot it in a wider and shallower container. Have you taken it out of the container to inspect the roots and soil? Typically in the U.S. they will be very root bound and planted in mostly peat and thus are in need of an immediate repot. The next step will be to examine the trunk(s) and determine a styling plan. I advise only selective pruning when you do the initial repot. Let the plant establish a root ball first.
It’s a double trunk and seems to be potted in a very sandy mix.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I repot mine after blooming...then, i defoliate it down to two leaves per stem tip. This cleans out the thick canopy and allows you to see inside to the structure. Then you can clear out crotch growth...and forks that have more than two stems at the end. Just helps really see what you have.

I use 100% Kanuma for substrate.
FB_IMG_1616027113943.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, I’m late to the party!

First what kind of satsuki is this? Does it have a tag with a cultivar name on it?

As far as action goes. I’d repot it sooner rather than later. However you can wait until it blooms blooms if it’s going to take that long to get materials.
Here’s a suggested game plan.
1. In this case lightly thin out the tree. It’s too crowded. Nothing radical.
2. Get kanuma Small size. Try calibonsai Etsy they seem to be reasonable lately. (Kanuma is costly)
3. Get a pot that is at least 2-3”” high and the same width of the pot with good sized drain holes. This will be a temporary pot for a year or two. Maybe more depending on the plants reaction to repotting. Ceramic is better than plastic in the case of azaleas.
4. Gently root wash the entire plant clean of media. Use chopsticks to help. Be patient... this will take awhile. Trim roots back to fit in pot.
5. Repot in kanuma, use a shallow drainage layer, lightly tie down. Cover with a thin layer of finely sieved sphagnum moss
6. Put in light shade for a week and ease it into a spot with morning sun, afternoon shade over a couple weeks.
7. Water as needed, fertilize with Miraclegrow for azaleas every 2 weeks. 1/2 strength to start. Full after a month. Alternate with fish fertilizer if you have it. Stop fertilizing in late September

Get some basic tools. Study satsuki styling. Decide on a style that will maximize the foliage that is there already. Start off by reading this:
https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/evergreen-azalea-basics-including-satsuki.40/

If it’s doing well in July, cut back all new growth to only two branches per flower node. Cut each of these back to two leaves per branchlet.

Find a place to winter over the tree properly. 40 F or above. If it survives...

Next spring would be the time to do your radical first pruning to fit your plan. Please remember to use cut paste.

Please let us know how you are doing periodically on this thread

Cheers
DSD sends

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gosh, I’m late to the party!

First what kind of satsuki is this? Does it have a tag with a cultivar name on it?

As far as action goes. I’d repot it sooner rather than later. However you can wait until it blooms blooms if it’s going to take that long to get materials.
Here’s a suggested game plan.
1. In this case lightly thin out the tree. It’s too crowded. Nothing radical.
2. Get kanuma Small size. Try calibonsai Etsy they seem to be reasonable lately. (Kanuma is costly)
3. Get a pot that is at least 2-3”” high and the same width of the pot with good sized drain holes. This will be a temporary pot for a year or two. Maybe more depending on the plants reaction to repotting. Ceramic is better than plastic in the case of azaleas.
4. Gently root wash the entire plant clean of media. Use chopsticks to help. Be patient... this will take awhile. Trim roots back to fit in pot.
5. Repot in kanuma, use a shallow drainage layer, lightly tie down. Cover with a thin layer of finely sieved sphagnum moss
6. Put in light shade for a week and ease it into a spot with morning sun, afternoon shade over a couple weeks.
7. Water as needed, fertilize with Miraclegrow for azaleas every 2 weeks. 1/2 strength to start. Full after a month. Alternate with fish fertilizer if you have it. Stop fertilizing in late September

Get some basic tools. Study satsuki styling. Decide on a style that will maximize the foliage that is there already. Start off by reading this:
https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/evergreen-azalea-basics-including-satsuki.40/

If it’s doing well in July, cut back all new growth to only two branches per flower node. Cut each of these back to two leaves per branchlet.

Find a place to winter over the tree properly. 40 F or above. If it survives...

Next spring would be the time to do your radical first pruning to fit your plan. Please remember to use cut paste.

Please let us know how you are doing periodically on this thread

Cheers
DSD sends
Wow that's excellent information. thanks a bunch.
The tag is Azalea Chinzan/Satsuki hybrid. I did some pruning today now need to find the right size training pot. Can I use something like this? The current pot it 12" wide. The largest training pot I got is 8" wide. It will be too small for this. How much root prunning do they take?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good news! Chinzan is a tried and true bonsai cultivar so you are off to a really good start.

Take your time an assemble your tools and materials and study up some first though. There are a couple really good satsuki videos on Bonsai Mirai by a guy named Peter Warren. It would be good to watch them. (In fact in one he works on a satsuki I work on at PBM). The key principles are mostly there. Also try this video showing Paul Eslinger... here’s the link to the first of three parts.

Here’s a link to some plastic pots with good drainage that will work. Round, Oval or rectangular will work. You won’t need plastic screening with these. But be aware azaleas roots do not like to get really hot.

They sell 2.0 wire (I use 1-2.5 for tie down mostly) and tools too, but look to Etsy or eBay for kanuma. This time of year everyone who uses it, myself included, and have bought up lots of the kanuma stocks. Other folks may tell you to use other soil media, but this is the tried and true azalea pot media for me. (I keep the unused kanuma in a tightly sealed container out of the weather though as it will absorb water and soften in the Puget sound area if left out.)

For tools you don’t need much at first. Scissors, diagonal cutters, wire cutter, pliers, wire and a set of sieves. You can use most pliers to start with, I used needle nosed to myself as mine have wire cutters. I used my wife’s kitchen metal sieve until she had enough of that.... took all of me using it one time! I had a good pair of garden secateurs that I cleaned & sharpened to use at first too. They have a wire cutter too. There are plenty of sources to go to for these tools. Personally I went to Stone Lantern for my starter tools. Good service, prices, helpful... a good place to start.

Cheers
DSD sends

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good news! Chinzan is a tried and true bonsai cultivar so you are off to a really good start.

Take your time an assemble your tools and materials and study up some first though. There are a couple really good satsuki videos on Bonsai Mirai by a guy named Peter Warren. It would be good to watch them. (In fact in one he works on a satsuki I work on at PBM). The key principles are mostly there. Also try this video showing Paul Eslinger... here’s the link to the first of three parts.

Here’s a link to some plastic pots with good drainage that will work. Round, Oval or rectangular will work. You won’t need plastic screening with these. But be aware azaleas roots do not like to get really hot.

They sell 2.0 wire (I use 1-2.5 for tie down mostly) and tools too, but look to Etsy or eBay for kanuma. This time of year everyone who uses it, myself included, and have bought up lots of the kanuma stocks. Other folks may tell you to use other soil media, but this is the tried and true azalea pot media for me. (I keep the unused kanuma in a tightly sealed container out of the weather though as it will absorb water and soften in the Puget sound area if left out.)

For tools you don’t need much at first. Scissors, diagonal cutters, wire cutter, pliers, wire and a set of sieves. You can use most pliers to start with, I used needle nosed to myself as mine have wire cutters. I used my wife’s kitchen metal sieve until she had enough of that.... took all of me using it one time! I had a good pair of garden secateurs that I cleaned & sharpened to use at first too. They have a wire cutter too. There are plenty of sources to go to for these tools. Personally I went to Stone Lantern for my starter tools. Good service, prices, helpful... a good place to start.

Cheers
DSD sends
This is excellent information. Thanks a bunch!!!

Top Bottom