Satsuki Azalea hardiness

Aukai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Salutations......I have a small Miyuki and a Medium to Large size Shinnyonotsuki, and am now checking the hardiness zone, and noticed that the hardiness zone starts at 7. I live in the KCMO area and I live in 5a or 5b zone.
Am I doing a disservice to the tree by having them? Are there some special things I could do? My lil one when I got I repotted, I have had it for 2 winters now and looks great amd the other I just repotted after I have had it for a year, so time will tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...ty

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have been able to get it through winter...then, I would say that is half the battle. Cold hardiness seems the concern...if they die from being kept to cold. How warm of a zone do they handle? Pondering do they need a dormancy period or not. I honestly don't know your cultivar.

@Mellow Mullet any direction...

@GrimLore you have had success keeping some indoors during winter...correct?

I have one that is a cold hardy to zone 7... It is kept in a controlled cold greenhouse for myself. Blooming like mad this spring! ?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Salutations......

Interesting question! In regards to the Zone is that if you read ten different descriptions you will get at least five different answers... Not helpful but a good general rule is to go to a National Growers site like Monrovia for a good representation of the "average". If you are within a zone of them up or down 1 or 1 1/2 you are OK here.

Now if it has Wintered twice for you it is safe to say the plant is acclimated and within a safe range. Keep doing what you are doing :) They can and do freeze many times during the Winter here unprotected but I don't allow the pots to be frozen solid for more then a few days. If it looks like they will remain frozen for longer period they go into the shed is all, nothing special, they just require window light or some light for the daylight hours.

Normally it is not needed and until this year have never had an extended freeze. For the first week they went into the shed to defrost a little, then to the attic, then back outside when the worst was over.

@GrimLore you have had success keeping some indoors during winter...correct?

I have grown certain types of Azalea for years in the house but they are considered "Greenhouse Azalea" in general, the types you sometimes see potted and blooming during the Christmas season. Those actually hate being outdoors even in the Summer and grow in controlled conditions only :) A long time ago we discussed being able to force a few blooms a year with some light and water depravation and those were specifically what I was talking about then. Many other plants like Bougie in or outdoor can be controlled to with slightly different methods.

Grimmy

Edit: I must add that any of several types of Satsuki need some "chill" time for health and longevity much like Serissa and other plants...

Last edited:

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Salutations......I have a small Miyuki and a Medium to Large size Shinnyonotsuki, and am now checking the hardiness zone, and noticed that the hardiness zone starts at 7. I live in the KCMO area and I live in 5a or 5b zone.
Am I doing a disservice to the tree by having them? Are there some special things I could do? My lil one when I got I repotted, I have had it for 2 winters now and looks great amd the other I just repotted after I have had it for a year, so time will tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...ty

It's not a problem. Like the others said, you just have to give it winter shelter. I have a fancy azalea bi-color called California Sunset that's of Japanese origin in the ancestry and it's too winter tender to even stay out all winter in Georgia in zone 8! The first winter I left it out I about lost it and all the flower buds froze off! I've had it for a while since then and I just bring it in for the winter and sheltering it in a cool basement or garage with good lighting seems to make it happy. I bring in lots of other things like coffee and cinnamon trees, orchids, tropical hibiscus, adeniums, etc but I over winter those in the heated house in bright sunny windows. Things that need to rest slightly chilled go into the basement along with anything else I just don't have room for in the house. Been doing that for decades and works well. That 'hot house' azalea of mine does just fine outside in Georgia heat and humidity from spring to autumn as long as I protect it from heat by keeping it in dappled shade in summer.

That isn't what you have of course, but if it works for mine, what you are already doing (as the others said) should be good. It probably does need mild chilling to set buds in winter - even mine does.

Aukai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loving all the replys! Tyvm! My confidence level on that subject just went up a notch. Figured I would just have the 2. May just have to get another or 2?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in zone 5b, if I leave Satsuki outdoors, death will ensue.
I have wintered them in a dark underground well house, that gets cold, but never really freezes even in the coldest weather. They do fine, sitting dormant until I bring them out in spring.

I have also wintered them in the light garden with the orchids. This is not very cool, 60 F at the coolest. My florist's azalea (hybrids that while they might have some Satsuki, they have more of the tropical Taiwanese or tropical Chinese species.). They winter well in the light garden. My Satsuki which are more cold tolerant winter okay in the light garden but don't seem as robust or healthy as I would like them.

I know in Hawaii they raise and bloom Satsuki, usually they are grown at some elevation, rather than in the coastal areas. So in theory you could winter Satsuki fairly warm and they will survive. I believe if you can get night time temperatures consistently below 60 F, ideally 55F or cooler for a period of 2 months, they will be fine.

Top Bottom