Satsuki Azalea repotting question

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi, so yesterday I repotted my Satsuki Azalea in a bonsai pot. During the repotting I cut the roots but didn't get the root ball small enough to completely be submerged in the kanuma soil. I also did not have a proper root saw which prevented easy cutting of the root ball. With all of this being said I ordered a root saw that should arrive next week. Would it be ok for me to repot the plant again and cut the root ball to fit in the pot, or should I wait to repot it until next year so I don't stress the plant to much. Thanks in advance.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Depends on plant health and vigor. Depends on how much you cut off during the first session. Generally I would say that you can do it up until new white roots start at the cuts. Disturbing those should be avoided at all costs. They start very soon (a week or 2) after the repot.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How big was the pot it came from vs the pot you put it in?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I cut the roots but didn't get the root ball small enough to completely be submerged in the kanuma soil. I also did not have a proper root saw which prevented easy cutting of the root ball
I don't think you were really trying. Azaleas can tolerate having a lot of root removed so unless the pot was really huge and the new bonsai pot really small the tree should survive root reduction. Azalea roots are normally very fine. Should be no need for a saw. Just use root shears but if you come across a thicker roots branch cutter will chop it.
Have you scraped the surface soil down to the main roots? Trees are often planted deep in nursery pots and may even grow some new small roots at the surface. You really need to locate the main, thicker roots to indicate soil surface.

Photos always help to give others a lot more detail about the plants you are talking about.
A location in your profile will also allow people to offer advice tailored to your particular climate. At the moment we don't know if you are near the tropics or arctic so some advice may not even be be relevant to you.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Shibui is right, you really don't need a special saw to cut the roots. I have actually used a saws-all to cut the root ball on nursery azaleas or just a standard yard pruning saw from Home Depot. Like here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-nursery-azalea-gets-a-chop.19187/ . If it was in a nursery can and healthy, you can cut 1/2 to 2/3's of the roots off, cut all of the branches back to stubs, and it won't skip a beat --azaleas are actually a lot tougher than most would think. I don't know your experience level so my advice, to be safe, would be to put it in a larger pot (you could even use a cut down nursery pot) and just back fill with soil, not disturbing the roots anymore. Just let it grow this year while you study-up and then reduce the roots some more next spring.

You actually don't need to waste money on kanuma, they will grow just fine in a lava, pumice, and pine bark mixture or just lava and pine bark. I have been using this mixture for years and have never had a problem.

Some pictures of what you have would really help get you some extra advice and also update your profile to include your location, as some advice may be location specific.

John

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for all the info I'm going to attach a photo of the plant in the new pot before I cut any roots and after I repotted it. I live in North Carolina I will add this to my profile soon. The root ball was much larger than the foilage for the plant. I think it could definitely take on more. The saw I used still cut the roots it just made it much more difficult to do so. Also I planted it in 2 parts kanuma 1 part spagnum moss.

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_150950.jpg
    IMG_20200306_150950.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200308_091823.jpg
    IMG_20200308_091823.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 82

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for all the info I'm going to attach a photo of the plant in the new pot before I cut any roots and after I repotted it. I live in North Carolina I will add this to my profile soon. The root ball was much larger than the foilage for the plant. I think it could definitely take on more. The saw I used still cut the roots it just made it much more difficult to do so. Also I planted it in 2 parts kanuma 1 part spagnum moss.

Yeah, you really could have taken another inch or two off the bottom of that, and, probably another half inch or so all the way around. You did not mention how much experience you have, so I would not try it again this season if you are not that familiar with azalea. you could mound a little more of the soil to cover the exposed roots and cover it all with sphagnum moss to hold it in place.

Nice root spread.

Update that profile so your location shows.

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have some experience, but not a ton. I think I'm going to take another inch off the bottom this coming week. And just put it in the same pot.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought a brand new, very sharp serrated knife at Goodwill for a dollar. It works brilliantly for cutting through azalea root masses, and doesn't take up much space in my tool box.

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice job!

Top Bottom