Satsuki Azalea "wakaebisu", Chinzan" and "kobai"

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Right, but since flowers last 2 weeks, and Daconil lasts 2 weeks, you just spray before it flowers. Spray after you are done working removing seed pods and branch divisions and any potential repot spray and go!

I do, daconil is good stuff, but it is a contact fungicide, since you spray it on the outside of the buds it keeps them from being infected before opening. Once open, the flower can be infected from the front. This is what usually happens to me. You can spray when they open but it sometimes effects the color.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do, daconil is good stuff, but it is a contact fungicide, since you spray it on the outside of the buds it keeps them from being infected before opening. Once open, the flower can be infected from the front. This is what usually happens to me. You can spray when they open but it sometimes effects the color.
Peroxide (as 2 tablespoons 3% peroxide in a quart of water) seems to not cause discoloration.
For me camellias are more of a problem (it is drier by the time azaleas come out here), but on them it is great - just spray after rain or watering.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Peroxide (as 2 tablespoons 3% peroxide in a quart of water) seems to not cause discoloration.
For me camellias are more of a problem (it is drier by the time azaleas come out here), but on them it is great - just spray after rain or watering.

Oso, I have used the peroxide, thanks for sharing! I will try it on the flowers tomorrow. Is there a shelf life once you mix it?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oso, I have used the peroxide, thanks for sharing! I will try it on the flowers tomorrow. Is there a shelf life once you mix it?
A bottle of 3% has a shelf life of about 6 months though only 4 - 6 weeks once the seal is broken. The solution should do its thing effectively as dilute as 300 ppm. The solution with 2 tablespoons is 3x that. So 6+ months, in effect.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right, but since flowers last 2 weeks, and Daconil lasts 2 weeks, you just spray before it flowers. Spray after you are done working removing seed pods and branch divisions and any potential repot spray and go!

Your flowers only last 2 weeks?!?

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Azalea flowers generally last 2-3 weeks, some push twice. Healthy ones. Most of the ones here I see people never get the flower buds set right for the next season and they have sparse flowering.

It's odd you mention Hydrogen Peroxide. I just finished deflowering/seeding and branch selection on a Kaho variety and every time I work an Azlea I spray the trunk with Hydrogen Peroxide. I buy the bulk case from Amazon, and use a mister head. I spray the trunk, the foliage, the tree doesnt bother it. 3% strength and I do not dillute it. If you hear a sizzle and or see foaming, that's the hydrogen peroxide killing bad shit. Yay. What happens if it soaks into the roots? Sweet, free soil oxygen and water all at the same time. Not many people use it because it's $2 a bottle. But when you have a half dozen 50-100 year old azaleas I treat every tree with the utmost of health in mind. Peroxide kills bad stuff and hurts tree none. Use it!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John, are these Wakaebisu fairly easy to propagate. Most of the cuttings you gave me have rooted and are still alive.!! Thank you again.

There is a fairly large row of these Wakaebisu in my neighborhood area I was thinking of getting some cuttings from.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wondering if the Kobai is any different in it's care and needs than other varieties of Satsuki? I have found a sport of Kobai that I am acquiring (double flowering!) and the seller is telling me that the Kobai family can be difficult to care for. So thought I'd check in to see what is the deal? Thanks, and was very happy to run thru this thread again to see these wonderful blooms.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wondering if the Kobai is any different in it's care and needs than other varieties of Satsuki? I have found a sport of Kobai that I am acquiring (double flowering!) and the seller is telling me that the Kobai family can be difficult to care for. So thought I'd check in to see what is the deal? Thanks, and was very happy to run thru this thread again to see these wonderful blooms.

I have Kobai and Chinzan. They definitely grow differently and overall I'd say Chinzan is a more robust plant, but I don't find Kobai to be fussy.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have Kobai and Chinzan. They definitely grow differently and overall I'd say Chinzan is a more robust plant, but I don't find Kobai to be fussy.
Do you do anything different time wise or technique wise to the Kobai?

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you do anything different time wise or technique wise to the Kobai?

Comparatively the Kobai is more course than Chinzan, so more to do with that than anything. I think I have trimmed the Chinzan more often. That's about it ;) What did the seller say?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Comparatively the Kobai is more course than Chinzan, so more to do with that than anything. I think I have trimmed the Chinzan more often. That's about it ;) What did the seller say?
This is the text below from the email. I'm not worried about my ability to care for this, as I've got a whole stable of Satsuki now, but wanted to hear from someone who has them of the differences... Thanks.

Tensei-no-mai is a sport of Kobai. Being a member of the Kobai family, this variety can be difficult to care for. As strange as it sounds (from someone trying to sell trees), I generally recommend against purchasing this variety unless the customer is familiar with caring for satsuki and the Kobai family.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have two Kobai plants in my garden. When I first received them and during the first year, they had some dead branches. But they were small plants. At the moment, they have recovered fine. They are slow growing. They aren't as vigorous and don't seem that robust. But right now, they seem perfectly fine and healthy. They have attractive dark foliage, are very compact, and the flower shape is quite pleasant. To me, Kobai is a bit of an enigma as I don't fully understand how it sits on the R.indicum <-> R.tamurae scale. As with many of the more modern satsuki, it is quite artificial and a milestone in azalea breeding. Which is also why it was used so often as a parent in newer breeding projects. It's a bit like Asuka, Suisen or Juko, in that way. Namely, in having many generations of cultivar in their heritage, making them far removed from the species that occur in nature, and achieving very artificial horticulture goals in their looks, and passing it on to future generations.

Chinzan is basically the contrast to this as it is a more dwarf variation of Osakazuki which is basically a pink selection of willd-type R.indicum.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have two Kobai plants in my garden. When I first received them and during the first year, they had some dead branches. But they were small plants. At the moment, they have recovered fine. They are slow growing. They aren't as vigorous and don't seem that robust. But right now, they seem perfectly fine and healthy. They have attractive dark foliage, are very compact, and the flower shape is quite pleasant. To me, Kobai is a bit of an enigma as I don't fully understand how it sits on the R.indicum <-> R.tamurae scale. As with many of the more modern satsuki, it is quite artificial and a milestone in azalea breeding. Which is also why it was used so often as a parent in newer breeding projects. It's a bit like Asuka, Suisen or Juko, in that way. Namely, in having many generations of cultivar in their heritage, making them far removed from the species that occur in nature, and achieving very artificial horticulture goals in their looks, and passing it on to future generations.

Chinzan is basically the contrast to this as it is a more dwarf variation of Osakazuki which is basically a pink selection of willd-type R.indicum.
Thank you for your insight.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet How are your azaleas doing this year? The Chinzan I have is the rooted cutting I got from you :) I cut it back pretty hard this year and it's putting out new buds. Thanks again, John!

They are doing good, most are finished blooming, except for kobai and gumpos. Good to hear that the chinzan is doing well for you.

Top Bottom