Satsuki Azalea "wakaebisu", Chinzan" and "kobai"

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, guys, this thread is three years old but I am glad that you still took the time to check it out.

Here is and update on the wakaebisu, it is starting to show and is about to fill with blooms, hopefully my fungicide wiped out the petal blight and they will last long enough to fill in. I repotted earlier this year in a new Lynn August pot.

DSC09250-1.jpg

DSC09252-1.jpg

Last edited:

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John, where is the show at on the 12th?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sweet. I will have to drive over for it. what time is it at?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been in Sacramento all this week. I went to Maruyama’s on Tuesday and bought a slanting eiga-no-homare and an informal upright kogetsu. Both are just beginning to bloom. They’re wrapped snugly in cling film and bubble wrap for tomorrow’s flight home as carry-ons. Both varieties will produce pink, white, and striped blossoms simultaneously.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I was hoping mine would hold out another week, the club has a show on the 12th.
Two years ago our show was on May 14-15, I put ice-packs on pot surface to delay the blooms. It seemed to work. Instead of the normal full bloom in late April or first week of May, blooming was delayed. First picture was on May 1, second picture was on May 16.
IMG_5449.JPGIMG_5719.JPG

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Two years ago our show was on May 14-15, I put ice-packs on pot surface to delay the blooms. It seemed to work. Instead of the normal full bloom in late April or first week of May, blooming was delayed. First picture was on May 1, second picture was on May 16.
View attachment 190511View attachment 190512

I will have to remember that, it is too late now, if it stays cool and petal blight does not strike, they might last till then, I have three, the one pictured is the furthest along.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
In similar climate to you -- are you not spraying Daconil every few weeks as a preventative? Here in Orlando, we do as a preventative since Azaleas often die as a result of funguses here....

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
In similar climate to you -- are you not spraying Daconil every few weeks as a preventative? Here in Orlando, we do as a preventative since Azaleas often die as a result of funguses here....

Oh yeah, I spray and spray and spray....

I have three fungicides that I rotate, the problem is that unless you catch it when it is active, the fungicide doesn't do much. I have had less trouble since I have been spraying and good luck getting them to this point. The trouble comes when it attacks when the flowers get open like this. The fungicide is tough on the open flowers so you can't really spray them without affecting them.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Right, but since flowers last 2 weeks, and Daconil lasts 2 weeks, you just spray before it flowers. Spray after you are done working removing seed pods and branch divisions and any potential repot spray and go!

Top Bottom