Satsuki Azalea with yellow-ish leaves

shryne

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!

My wife and I are just starting in bonsai and are looking to buy a tree. This Satsuki Azalea (pictures attached) caught our eye today but we are a little worried that the leaves are light green/yellow-ish (vs the mostly dark green I've typically seen online). We don't mind the aesthetic aspect at all but are just worried the yellowish leaves are a sign that the tree is not healthy. The owner says its just natural colour variation - can anyone with some experience with Azaleas please advise? Also, how much should a tree like this cost roughly?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG-4260.JPG
    IMG-4260.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG-4261.JPG
    IMG-4261.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-4262.JPG
    IMG-4262.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 133

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yellow leaves on an azelea is a sign that you have a health issue. With it being all the leaves, I would think a root rot problem.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think that you are keeping it too wet, they get root rot easy when they stay too wet. I could also be too much sun, they don't like the blazing hot afternoon sun. Also, it might need a little iron. Get some Ironite from Home Depot or Lowes and sprinkle a little (about a teaspoon), on top of the soil.

So, keep an eye on your watering (moist, but not soaking wet), morning sun and dappled sunlight in the afternoon, and give it a little Ironite.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice structure but as stated above. Watering problem usually leads to a cpl yellow leaves but the whole tree being yellow... could of been in trouble so long the whole tree has suffered. But yellow leaves in trouble usually will fall off. Maybe it is a certain variety with yellow leaves.

Either way I’d go for that little cork bark mugo to the left of the azalea in the first pic :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice structure but as stated above. Watering problem usually leads to a cpl yellow leaves but the whole tree being yellow... could of been in trouble so long the whole tree has suffered. But yellow leaves in trouble usually will fall off. Maybe it is a certain variety with yellow leaves.

Either way I’d go for that little cork bark mugo to the left of the azalea in the first pic :)
Dude, that’s a JWP, not a Mugo.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello!

My wife and I are just starting in bonsai and are looking to buy a tree. This Satsuki Azalea (pictures attached) caught our eye today but we are a little worried that the leaves are light green/yellow-ish (vs the mostly dark green I've typically seen online). We don't mind the aesthetic aspect at all but are just worried the yellowish leaves are a sign that the tree is not healthy. The owner says its just natural colour variation - can anyone with some experience with Azaleas please advise? Also, how much should a tree like this cost roughly?

Thank you very much!
The azalea does not appear to be healthy at this point. I would not purchase. The only time i have seen that color variation on an azalea was due to root issues in very compacted soil that was staying too wet.

shryne

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks guys really appreciate it!

NateDav

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see yellowing leaves with green veins, I would also consider chlorosis.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it were me..... it looks like it's not in great soil, which could mean drainage issues. Assuming the roots aren't rotted, that problem could be solved with a quick re-pot, and 'tis the season, as they say. I would also put a side bet on it being chlorosis, which can be remedied in short order. Being an azalea junkie, I would probably buy it and take my chances, because the structure is so nice, and the lower trunk and base are gorgeous. Just my two cents worth. Out of curiosity, what are they asking for it?

shryne

Seed
Reaction score
about GBP 400, is that a fair price?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Ouch at £400!!, definitely not worth that kind of coin.
Wouldn’t have thought this be worth much more than £100-150. Others may know better than me 👍.
Charles.

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see yellowing leaves with green veins, I would also consider chlorosis.
How does one treat chlorosis? I switched to "acid loving" fertilizer and repotted, but the yellow leaves w/dark veins persist.

NateDav

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chlorosis is usually a sign of a mineral deficiency, commonly the minerals are iron or manganese. For plants, the availability of many minerals is pH dependent. Most plants have an ideal range of 6.0-7.0, some sources will cite 5.5-7.0. Azaleas like a lower or more acidic pH for optimal nutrient and mineral absorption.

Things you can try:

Repotting into pure kanuma (more acidic) or akadama (slightly less acidic) as they are the preferred substrates for azalea bonsai.

Amend your potting medium with something like Zeolite which has a high CEC and readily releases moisture and nutrients back to the plant. This prevents minerals from leaching out of the pot with the water. Also it acts as a pH buffer so keep it to less than 15% of total in pot substrate.

You may also consider using fir or pine bark as they also will aid in keeping the enviroment more acidic as they decompose, also high CEC and moisture retention. Turface can be used as well as its pH is about 5.5. Amend to about 10-15% of the potting media.

Acidify your water or use rainwater. To acidify tap water buy a ph meter, test your water, then use vinegar or a product called ph down (available on Amazon). Use caution and make sure to titrate slowly as a little of either goes a very long way. I have successfully taken tap from ph 7.4 to 6.5 using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. You May need to use more or less.

Also products like milorganite has 3% soluable iron to green rapidly and has slow release iron as well. This will still be ph dependent as to how well this is taken in by roots. Also there is Miracid, which is fertilizer geared for acid loving plants... Used at full strength.

May use gypsum or epsom salts which have magnesium and manganese also a cause for chlorosis. This will take some time and will probably still need to ensure ideal pH.

May also use sulfur to acidify the soil, this does takes time and isnt rapid. Also will likely need to reapply periodically.

Some of these products can be used as a foliar spray, use with caution, I've burned the leaves of a few azaleas and lost them shortly thereafter.

I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited:

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you very much!
You have iron and magnesium deficiencies. Plants have difficulties taking in these two micronutrients from roots in alkaline soil. I foliar spray mine with Epsom salt solution, 2 tablespoons/gallon of water; or with Fertilome chelated iron/acidifier solution.

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chlorosis is usually a sign of a mineral deficiency, commonly the minerals are iron or manganese. For plants, the availability of many minerals is pH dependent. Most plants have an ideal range of 6.0-7.0, some sources will cite 5.5-7.0. Azaleas like a lower or more acidic pH for optimal nutrient and mineral absorption.

Things you can try:

Repotting into pure kanuma (more acidic) or akadama (slightly less acidic) as they are the preferred substrates for azalea bonsai.

Amend your potting medium with something like Zeolite which has a high CEC and readily releases moisture and nutrients back to the plant. This prevents minerals from leaching out of the pot with the water. Also it acts as a pH buffer so keep it to less than 15% of total in pot substrate.

You may also consider using fir or pine bark as they also will aid in keeping the enviroment more acidic as they decompose, also high CEC and moisture retention. Turface can be used as well as its pH is about 5.5. Amend to about 10-15% of the potting media.

Acidify your water or use rainwater. To acidify tap water buy a ph meter, test your water, then use vinegar or a product called ph down (available on Amazon). Use caution and make sure to titrate slowly as a little of either goes a very long way. I have successfully taken tap from ph 7.4 to 6.5 using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. You May need to use more or less.

Also products like milorganite has 3% soluable iron to green rapidly and has slow release iron as well. This will still be ph dependent as to how well this is taken in by roots. Also there is Miracid, which is fertilizer geared for acid loving plants... Used at full strength.

May use gypsum or epsom salts which have magnesium and manganese also a cause for chlorosis. This will take some time and will probably still need to ensure ideal pH.

May also use sulfur to acidify the soil, this does takes time and isnt rapid. Also will likely need to reapply periodically.

Some of these products can be used as a foliar spray, use with caution, I've burned the leaves of a few azaleas and lost them shortly thereafter.

I hope you find this helpful.

Many thanks! I will go the Miracid route!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Top Bottom