Sharing my Satsuki I got from Sean Kelly

bnutsfav9.jpg

Last edited:

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice tree! Do Satsukis grow well in Hawaii? Do they need any kind of a cooler dormant period or can they handle the warmer weather year round?

Tom

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree. I like to see it in flower.
I like satsuki, but it can't survive in my area (hot dry weather).
Bonhe

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, this one hasn't flowered yet, but the buds are swelling.

Tom, my other Satsuki has been fine all year round. I hope this one can adjust to the hawaiian climate:)

Thanks bonhe, i'll post a pic when in flower (hopefully)

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice tree, will be quite a spectacle when it starts flowering.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Wow! That's a very nice Satsuki! Beautiful trunk and foliage pads. You are a lucky man there Duane! Good luck with it!
Si Nguyen

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I have never heard of Sean Kelly or River Bay Bonsai dealer before either. Seems like they have great imported material for sale!
Si

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Marc, I am starting to see color poking thru some buds. Getting excited here!

Thanks Si, Sean Kelly has some killer trees for sure. I was stoked to be able to get this one.
This is what caught my eye & the rest is history:)

bnutsaz.jpg

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful tree, but you had better know what you are doing, you only have one chance so my friends tell me. I don't own one myself, but I've always admired them from afar.

Ciao,
Harry

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shohin kid, sorry, I don't know who the potter is, but I'll try to find out. I'm actually looking for another pot for this tree though.

Thanks Harry, all I can do is to try my best. I have another Satsuki that I was able to nurse back to health & is now, at least in my eyes thriving. I also have the backing of my club, in case stuff hits the fan.
PS, I like your pines. I see you also do business with Don Blackmond of Gregory Beach Bonsai, nice guy ain't he that Don.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We'll get um next year!

My battle with Mr. Petal Blight!

On May 19th the tree pushed its first flower & I was definitely excited

bloomstart3.jpg

5 day later May 24th, the tree started to bloom!

bloomstart20.jpg

THEN! We got some messed up weather & Mr. Petal Blight payed a visit! I came home from work & found the flowers all wilted & mushy! I pulled all the flowers & sprayed heavily with fungicide.
May 26th all flowers pulled.

may26-09.jpg

The very next day, May 27th, the tree started pushing new flowers

may27-0915.jpg

I lost a lot of flowers but was able to at least see the tree bloom. I shot this today May 30th 2009.

paumay30-0939.jpg

paumay30-0945.jpg

Back

paumay30-0931.jpg

Flowers

paumay30-0951.jpg

paumay30-0952.jpg

paumay30-0953.jpg

paumay30-0956.jpg

finalmay29-09.jpg

I'll be ready next year!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice gyoten!!!
This is a VERY GOOD SATSUKI!!! This gyoten has many different flower types. I will share with you. On the last flower picture, the flower with the pure white and pink sections is called O-shibori. A plain white flower, may or may not include a blotch of pink, are called Shiro-muji. The plain pink are called jiai-zaki. Those are the major flower types I see on this tree. If it was my tree, I would only have let a third of the flowers open. When you let it massively bloom like that, the tree uses up so much energy and can really stress a tree. Now if this was a japanese satsuki festival, that would be fine, but the trees they let bloom are not considered bonsai, and are in bigger pots usually. Be careful with this one. Very nice tree!!! Thanks for the post, I enjoyed seeing these pics.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a sweet tree Duane! Probably not too many of those in Hawaii. Don't forget to do cuttings and start propagating it for the next generation.
Si

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Si, yes I will do cuttings for the next generation. Problem is, my niece & nephew has no interest in bonsai, if it aint connected to wi-fi or blue-tooth, they're not interested:)

Top Bottom