Satsuki Azalea

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow those flowers looks so good I wonder what they taste like! :)

So you are sure hawaii zone 11 is not too warm for satsukis?

Do you know anyone else who keeps them there? Just because you've had one doing well for a year or two, doesn't mean you are in the clear... without a proper dormant period it might take a few years to see the effects...

I don't know much about satsuki's, but quick google says they are a zone 9 max tree, and Bonhe says his Cali zone 11 is too hot/dry.

Sorry I'm just being paranoid for you :)

But this is definitely not the kind of tree you want to experiment with! So damn perfect!

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Amkhalid for being paranoid for me =) We have lots of Satsukis in Hawaii & they're all doing great! My other Satsuki was grown here locally from a cutting & was trained here in my friends backyard for over 15 years. I know its not the right zone for them, but they seem to do well here in the islands.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a beautiful Gyoten. Just in case if you want to know more about satsuki, you may get the book titled Bonsai Technique for Satsuki. My teacher, Richard Ota, is coauthor of this excellent book. Bonhe

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a world class tree in my eyes, beautiful. The video shows it off best.

Tom

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks bohe, I will look for the book.

Tom, thank you for your kind words.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Victrinia, sorry, I have no idea who made the pot & Sean Kelly has gone awol on me :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you Victrinia, sorry, I have no idea who made the pot & Sean Kelly has gone awol on me :)

Oh... and I'm CRAZY about the tree too... I envy you that beauty. :D

I'm glad I got to see it... seeing beautiful satsukis always makes my day. It is one of my favorite species. I'm enough of a snob not to want to work on immature ones. So I am content with my one. But if you ever need a home for this one..... well... it goes without saying. :p:rolleyes:;)

lol

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arigatou Victrinia & likewise, if your needs a home in Hawaii, I would love to have it on my Satsuki bench:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Arigatou Victrinia & likewise, if your needs a home in Hawaii, I would love to have it on my Satsuki bench:)

hmmm... If it ever needs a vacation... I'll know where to send it. lol

So what else loves to grow there? Aside from your marvelous satsukis?

V

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia, your tree would love it here in Hawaii:)
As for what else grows here, lots of trees grow well here & contrary to what people think, I have seen some killer jbps here in Hawaii. Most folks seem to forget that a lot of japanese migrated to Hawaii to work the plantations (sugar, pineapple) & they in turn would raise bonsai to make them feel at home. I'm talking about old school japanese people, & they would pass along their knowledge to the next generation & so on. I guess what i'm trying to say is, for a small state, we have some killer bonsai, though mostly hidden in old schoolers back yards (yes I have seen them with my own eyes, they do exist) BUT! They rarely bring them out to club meetings & only reluctantly will agree to exhibit 1, maybe 1 at a clubs exhibit. I have asked on occasion if I may take a pic of their tree & post it on the forums (I would never do it without their permission. I would have to kill myself if they found out lol) & the answer I would get is "what that?" & after further explanation, they would say "ahhhh foa what that, no mean nothing!" lol its hard to bring an old schooler up to speed in the 20th century:) But let me tell you, theres some trees out here for sure!
One tree I wish I could have but cannot grow here is white pine =(

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update

The tree as it stands today 11-20-09

satstoday11-20-0952.jpg

Buds are setting

satstoday11-20-0944.jpg

I am told, the problem will not be if the tree will flower BUT if the tree will flower all at the same time. I received this tree in the spring & it had already gotten its cold snap in Pennsylvania. I am told the cold dormant period has something to do with the hardening of the buds, so when spring arrives the tree flowers all at the same time.Because of Hawaii's climate, I may get an early or late bloom & the flowers might not open all at the same time =( I'll have to wait & see what happens.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Sweet! That's a healthy looking satsuki! The flower buds are pretty big already. I think this tree will flower early next year, maybe in April! The tree's internal clock is probably still on Pennsylvania timezone.:) It might be a year or two before the tree acclimate your tropical climate. Thanks for showing it.
Si

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet! That's a healthy looking satsuki! The flower buds are pretty big already. I think this tree will flower early next year, maybe in April! The tree's internal clock is probably still on Pennsylvania timezone.:) It might be a year or two before the tree acclimate your tropical climate. Thanks for showing it.
Si

Thanks Si, I really hope it flowers all at the same time, I wouldn't mind if they all opened tomorrow, just as long as they all open at the same time:)

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not this year :(

My Satsuki started blooming a little early this year. Here it is at the ending of April & I thought, great, let the show begin! (second pic is my smaller tree. I only left a few buds on that one)

bigazz6-6-103.jpg

bigazz6-6-105.jpg

Not sure what happened but the bloom just came to a crawl in may. I waited 3 weeks but the bloom was sporadic. I realized it wasnt going to be a crazy full bloom like last year, so I pulled all the flowers & buds :(

I repotted this tree today. The kanuma had broken down a little.

bigazz6-6-1044.jpg

bigazz6-6-1051.jpg

At least I now know where the pot came from.

bigazz6-6-1049.jpg

Rootball worked & washed. I just need to get a few more pieces of kanuma out.

bigazz6-6-1053.jpg

Potted up with fresh kanuma & added mountain moss on top to help hold moisture. I tried something different this year & pruned pretty hard to open up the trunk line.

bigazz6-6-1078.jpg

Not sure I like it like this....I may have to grow a branch back.....:(

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey Duane,
I remember seeing this tree on another forum. This is a great tree and the flowers are terrific!! Its thriving under your care.
I agree, I think you should grow one of the branches back. Seeing to much of the trunk is distracting from the overall beauty of the tree.
Keep the updates coming..

Ted

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awww Victrinia, I loveeeee you for saying that....you are so kind my friend:)

Hi Ted, thanks. My sensei once said to me "its good to have a mysterious trunk line".....Obviously, I had forgotten about our talk or simply just chose not to remember.....:confused: Luckily for me, this tree is a strong grower & I should be able to get that mysterious trunk line back.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Ted, it would be much more interesting if the trunk is partially covered. It's a spectacular tree, very impressive.

Top Bottom