Satsuki azalea

Slickrick773

Sapling
Reaction score
Bought this azalea from California, arrive with a good deal of flowers and has kicked out a lot more since. Recently did a hard pruning. Any advice?

Attachments

• E6B133E8-069C-4A2F-80A7-3DD53C745626.jpeg
    E6B133E8-069C-4A2F-80A7-3DD53C745626.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 33

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the tree were mine, i would remove the remaining flower buds, remove the unwanted branches, wire the two trunks for movement and plant in a larger container for the next few years of development.
I would also fertilize the tree to bring it back to vigour and replenish its reserves.
The most important at this stage would be to create some movement in the lower trunk portion particularly the smaller left trunk as it is the longest straight portion. Some smaller movement in the shorter thicker trunk would also be desireable.
Note: All of the above is based on if the tree is healthy enough for the work to be done. If not then stage the work appropriately based on what has already been done and the health of the tree. You have just recently acquired the tree and the climatic conditions have changed. you may wish to wait until repotting season next year and begin the process.

Top Bottom