Satsuki Azaleas Book

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking (on-line) at the book Satsuki Azaleas by Robert Z.Callaham and The Magician: Kimura vol 2....any recommendations for them or should I save my money?

Thanks,
Michael

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
yes to both! Kimura book volume 1 is better in my opinion but if you already have it, volume 2 is worth it. If you have Satsuki, the satsuki is a must

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"yes to both! Kimura book volume 1 is better in my opinion but if you already have it, volume 2 is worth it. If you have Satsuki, the satsuki is a must"

Thanks for the reply buddhamonk, I do not have Kimura vol 1. To be honest I saw the vol 2 on sale when I was looking at the Satsuki book. I have one small satsuki and collected some others from the woods here in Bama. Would the Satsuki book information be helpful for all Azaleas?
Thanks,
Michael

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I also recommend Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki by John Naka, Richard Ota, and Kenko Rokkaku. The first part is full-color pictures of a number of different varieties and specimen, and the rest of it is good info and techniques, albeit in black and white.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd recommend the Naka book too, if you can find one and if it's under $100. The book is something of "bonsai trophy" these days.

Both the Kimura book and the Callaham books are good. Both are pretty good.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd recommend the Naka book too, if you can find one and if it's under $100. The book is something of "bonsai trophy" these days.

Both the Kimura book and the Callaham books are good. Both are pretty good.

Several of the Naka book show up when I google it....for $600. wow!

Frank

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Several of the Naka book show up when I google it....for $600. wow!"
WOW! Thanks Frank, that take that one off the list. Thanks anyway Ross.
Thanks rockm, I appreciate everyones help.
Thanks,
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"What it DOESN'T say is that this book is 95% reprints from Bonsai Today magazine articles. If you subscribed to Bonsai Today and/or own back issues, there is little new in this book." Bonsai Nut - 2008

Just found this about the Kimura book, since I don't subscribe to the BT, the vol 2 Kimura may be a good deal for me.
Thanks,
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everytime I get ready to place my order for the books I find another one on sale. I figure I can add it now and save shipping. Any input on Nick Lenz's collecting in the wild?

Thanks,
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dave, I went ahead and place my order with it added last night. StoneLatern had the Juniper Master Series on sale for 15.00 is what got all this started. When I looked last night the Juniper book had gone to $18.00. I figured I better order before it went up more. I added to the comments that I had put it in the shopping basket last week at $15.00 and felt they should honor the original price, got an email from them today said they would give me the $15.00.
Have A Great Weekend!
Michael

Top Bottom